• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help stabilizing lamp sockets

Here are pictures of sockets in a large electric sign. The wind is blowing the sign, causing the lamps to wiggle loose. Any ideas on how to stabilize the sockets? I'm trying to avoid replacing all of them.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Photo0089.jpg
    Photo0089.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Photo0090.jpg
    Photo0090.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Photo0091.jpg
    Photo0091.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 103

signage

Get a larger box and install it in the sign. The problem you are having is the box is too small for that lamp!

andy

There is quite an easy fix but it does involve some metal work.

What you need to do is create a straightened out Z shape. The bottom is a flat base which you can fix to the bottom of the cabinet. Then there is a straight vertical up stand that then folds over in the opposite direction to the base. In this top flange you trim out a U shape.

The finished shape will act as a collar which prevents the bulb moving from side to side. If you want to stop it moving in all directions substitute the U shape notch for a hole big enough to allow the base of the bulb to fit through.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is but you could make these retaining collars out of thin pieces of scrap aluminium in a couple of hours; all you need is a pair of tin snips and something to bend the metal over.

Thanks, Andy. My original thought was maybe I could attach straight strips of aluminum on several sides of the boxes and sockets, but I didn't know how I was going to attach them. I'll do some experimenting with your collar idea.