• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with a really old plotter

invadertim3

My uncle gave me a AMETEK Houston Instrument DMP-65C and I have no clue how I'm going to hook it up to my computer correctly because I have had no luck trying to find the drivers online. I'm planning to use CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator to make my designs, and want to cut vinyls in the future. However, my first step I need some guidance with is setting up this plotter. :thankyou:

OldPaint

get a newer PLOTTER....or like the man said ..........FIND AN OLD LAPTOP/PC with win 98, and ill bet you will need a comm or printer port on the computer to run that old timer.

Craig Sjoquist

well to findout how old ....google some info on what ya don't have ,... like mybe win 2000 or XP will work ...maybe you can partition your harddrive.....maybe cheaper to buy new

my 2cents

invadertim3

This was the closest I could get to finding information on the cutter...
http://bratlady.com/HI_plotter.shtml

Long story short...it's too old haha. You guys were right.:munchie:

Well...I'm moving to college in a couple days, so I'll just let my brother handle it. xD Maybe he can sell it at a garage sale or something.

If I were to buy a new vinyl cutter and get into the sign business and such, what's a good one to start out with? Any beginner tips much appreciated. :)

Pro Image

I would guess that FlexiSign would have a driver for it built in........My Inspire program has it so I would think Flexi would also........

I looked at SAi web site and Flexi 6.5 has your Houston listed......Maybe someone with a newer version could tell you more about the Vista Flexi.........

invadertim3

I would guess that FlexiSign would have a driver for it built in........My Inspire program has it so I would think Flexi would also........

I looked at SAi web site and Flexi 6.5 has your Houston listed......Maybe someone with a newer version could tell you more about the Vista Flexi.........
Would that mean that the FlexiSign 8+ would come with the driver built in too? Hmm...I guess I'll try it and let you know. Thanks :)

Last edited:

invadertim3

Would that mean that the FlexiSign 8+ would come with the driver built in too? Hmm...I guess I'll try it and let you know. Thanks :)
OH SHEESH I'm using my friends copy of FlexiSign Pro 8.1 and apparently it does list the Houston Instrument DMP-65C, which is the exact model on the machine label.:U Rock:

Only problem now is learning how to send something to make it cut...:doh:

QualitySigns

If I were to buy a new vinyl cutter and get into the sign business and such, what's a good one to start out with? Any beginner tips much appreciated. :)
Look around for a used Roland PNC-1200 (24"). I've had mine for over 15 years and all I've had to do to it is clean the pinch rollers once in a while and replace blades. One of the finest pieces of machinery ever made in my opinion. You could probably find one real cheap; and no you can't have mine - it's still going strong, and I need it.

invadertim3

Ah my brother sold it while i was sleeping lol. I guess this means I'm going to have to save up for a new machine. How much will a decent new cutter cost?

And there's no denying the fact that there are copious amounts of pirated copies of software. It's kind of ironic, IMHO, that large corporations like Adobe don't really crack down on these kinds of things.