• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with choosing right vinyl for a job

LAA1964

I am currently have in stock Orcal 751 and 641 and have a job for a trucking company to do their signs for the truck doors with the company name and DOT #. They don't wont magnetic signs, they are currently buying signs that are done in 3M and are printed on the vinyl. I will be doing the lettering in black vinyl and applying it to a 20"x18" white vinyl sheet. What would be the best kind of vinyl to use as the white. The Orcal I have seems to be too thin to use. What is your opinion about what to use.

LAA1964

Why in the world would you apply cut black vinyl to a sheet of white vinyl?? You'll create the same cheap looking effect as a magnet but it won't have the advantage of being removable.

This is what they are asking me to do..They don't wont it removable, but they don't wont to use just the vinyl letters applied to the trucks. Their whole fleet are leased in with them from owner operators. They do not own these trucks, but they have to have their company name and DOT #'s on them. Any suggestions on any other way I could do this.

This is my first signage like this I have done. I usually do decals, and t-shirts.

mpn

Check the merchant member tab above and get it printed. They'll help you with the proper materials.

Mosh

++Sub it out so it will match what they are using not. Putting cut vinyl on a backing won't work well, when they apply it there will be 1,000's of bubbles around the letters...trust me.

fresh

We use Avery HP700 Calendared vinyl for this kind of job. The prices on this vinyl went down about 20% in the past month or so, I would suggest picking up a 24"x10yd roll of white and a roll of black.

We do car doors like this multiple times a week. There is absolutely no reason to print this. (*When you install it, put the white down first (obviously) and then install the black. Do NOT lay the black vinyl on the white on your table. You have to layer them on the vehicle.)
TWOCOLOR.jpg

Techman

using white on a truck door is common in the independent trucker world. Trucker comes in with his owner operated tuck. A broker hires him. He goes to work for a broker and needs his truck doors covered and lettered temporary. Thus the white bottom layer with black lettering.

As mentioned above.. Lay the white first then lay the lettering over that. round the corners of the white so it looks better.