• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with converting files or setting up files before i send to cutter

youngent

Hi, I own a Monument and memorial company. I currently use Gerber Omega 4.0 to do all my designs. I have a friend that cuts all my designs on his Graphtec plotter but he is not familiar with my exact program. So here's the problem and the question. Currently I create a design and save it as an eps.file and email it to him then he sends it to his plotter. The problem is that we cant figure out why the plotter wants to cut a couple letters here then move to other section of design and cut there then move back. Pretty much I would like to know if there is a way to make the plotter or make my file tell the plotter to start at on point and do a whole emblem then do each line of text one at a time. Plotter seems to want to do the right side of design then do the left side and sometimes it doesn't line up and its costing me valuable material.. I've been going for 3 years now and I am trying to buy a sprocket feed plotter so I don't have to worry about jogs and over lapse but until then does anyone have any wise words on how to fix this?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Which program is he cutting from?

What he said.

With a Graphtec there are 3 options to control what the cut order is.
One is an option that is enabled on the plotter keypad.
It will sort the paths and minimize the movement in the feed direction.
It will cut all the paths closest to the carriage in a left and right direction.
Problem with this is it will cut the centers out of all the letters in a line and then go back and cut the outer paths.
The other option is data sort in Cutting Master (if he is using the Graphtec cutting software). This has a little more control over the centers.
The last option is the at the keypad and it is the panel option. You can break your layout down into smaller panels and the cutter will cut everything in the panel - right up to the edge even if the path extends into the connecting panel (I've used this and the registration between panels is very good).
I'd turn all of them off and run some scrap (or pen plot paper) to see how it orders the paths.
If it still jumps around then the problem is in how you built it inside of Omega.
There might be an option to order the paths before export but someone who uses it will have to chime in.
If he is using something like Flexi to run his cutter there is an option in the plot dialog to set the search radius so it will plot everything within a specified area before moving onto another section.
Worst case depending on how complex the layout is - copy sections (or even single paths) one by one into a new blank layout in the order you want to them to cut. If you don't do any sorting before or after export the order should be maintained.

wayne k
guam usa

kheebl

In flexi I have the button checked for optimized cutting order. I have mine set to 10 inches but he could set to whatever he wants.