• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with my reds

dirttoo

I have a new Mimaki CJV30-100. I design with Flexi Pro 10. When I use Flexi's rip or Rasterlink rip my reds are orange. Even using R-255 G-0 B-0 it still prints orange. Mimaki says draw with Illustrator and rip with Rasterlink. I don't have Illustrator and I don't want to learn a new program If I don't have to. Any Suggestions?

SignBurst PCs

I doubt that this is an issue with your design program.

This sounds like a profile issue. You need to find (or make) good profiles for your RIP/printer/media.

Reds (along with a few other colors) are hard with the wrong profiles.

LittleSnakey

try
R167
G25
B48

I have a new Mimaki CJV30-100. I design with Flexi Pro 10. When I use Flexi's rip or Rasterlink rip my reds are orange. Even using R-255 G-0 B-0 it still prints orange. Mimaki says draw with Illustrator and rip with Rasterlink. I don't have Illustrator and I don't want to learn a new program If I don't have to. Any Suggestions?

dirttoo

I doubt that this is an issue with your design program.

This sounds like a profile issue. You need to find (or make) good profiles for your RIP/printer/media.

Reds (along with a few other colors) are hard with the wrong profiles.

I would like to learn how to make a profile that would work. Where can I read how?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
With almost clockwork regularity someone drifts into these waters complaining of the seeming inability to print their very own concept of red.

These pleas for color guidance invariably produce others citing their secret RGB or CMYK formula for their own favorite red. They produce these color combinations as if they're disclosing a formula for turning lead into gold.

Unfortunately, any specific formula for some color or another most likely isn't transferable from one printing environment to another. A specific color composition that works for you may or may not work for someone else in different circumstances.

Reds are not difficult to produce. Custom profiles are not necessary, or even desirable in most cases**. I love to say this,m it makes the coloristas, lurching through what passes for their lives, foam at the mouth. Rather a single decent profile, proper setting of your rendering intents, and an actual understanding of your equipment and what you're doing will produce a far better red than all of the custom profiles and secret formulas extant.

The intent of a profile is to match some external environment or another to the output of a printer, not to yield good reds or good anything else.

signguyms

The sign shop I worked at before, I ran a JV3 with SS2 inks and ended up making a red using the color mixer try selecting the HSV and use H 353, V 100 and S 100. I used a standard 3M profile (720x720) bidirectional. I was a good rich red for that printer but not so much for the Roland I use now.

d fleming

r 255, g 0, b 0.
CMYK has never given me a decent red or black. I design strictly in rgb unless I am sending out business card files to be printed at a paper house. RGB seems to be poison for those guys.

growler

What rip? what is your rip setup like for dealing with vector and raster, what intents and profiles, all of these can effect your colours.

your rip even though your app is saying 100m/100y/6c etc may well be replacing it too 60m/100y or whatever.

I would 99% say its your rip and setup with its colour handling.