• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with patches on hats

Need some help. I am pre making patches in a flat hoop. My hope was to take the patch and apply it to a hat on my brother pr1000 cap frame. The issue is that the tack down stitch is smaller on the length and looks awful. I assume because I am using the flat patch size for the tack down on a curved surface. How do i reconcile this. I want to tack down just inside the satin border of the patch or satin border around the patch to attach it.

I am using wilcom hatch 2 software on a pr1000.

Thanks in advance.

WildWestDesigns

If you are making patches for hats I would heat press them on. I would suggest a press that has the forms for a hat though, but that would be my suggestion if it is needed to do patches on the front. Normally, I would suggest embroidery directly on the hats, but depending on the design, detail etc and/or client's wants, it might be better to do patches instead of direct embroidery.

Brother machines do limit how tall (and wide depending on what hat hoop one has), so that may be the main reason for doing it the patch way as well (last time I checked for the PR 1000, max hat height is/was 60mm, but could do ear to ear). Now I do believe that there may be a hooptech hat hoop that could override that sensor, but I have no experience with using that for embroidery and how well that works etc.

If you are making patches for hats I would heat press them on. I would suggest a press that has the forms for a hat though, but that would be my suggestion if it is needed to do patches on the front. Normally, I would suggest embroidery directly on the hats, but depending on the design, detail etc and/or client's wants, it might be better to do patches instead of direct embroidery.

Brother machines do limit how tall (and wide depending on what hat hoop one has), so that may be the main reason for doing it the patch way as well (last time I checked for the PR 1000, max hat height is/was 60mm, but could do ear to ear). Now I do believe that there may be a hooptech hat hoop that could override that sensor, but I have no experience with using that for embroidery and how well that works etc.
What adhesive would you recommend to apply the patches to hats? I have a hat press. I have tried Heat and Bond Ultra but not much sucess.

WildWestDesigns

What adhesive would you recommend to apply the patches to hats? I have a hat press. I have tried Heat and Bond Ultra but not much sucess.
I'm not surprised. Last time that I checked, that only has heat activation on one side and there is usually a sticky side that allows for temp stability before tacking down onto the garment. If one tries to reverse that, use the stick attached to the substrate, embroidery punctures right on through, so when it's heat applied, it's not as strong (why it has to be tacked down with actual stitches to finish it off).

You want ones that have double heat adhesion(not glue adhesion on any side) if you don't want to have to sew any tackdown on it.