• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sean0115

I have looked all over the internet and cant find how to set my stuff up.

I have a CR1200 http://www.cutterpros.com/proddetail.php?prod=cr1200 and Im trying to hook it up to Illustrator CS5 to print right from Illustrator. I am also using the latest version of snow leopard on my MAC.

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else I couldn't find anything.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
According to the info at that site you need to have bridge software such as SignCut that will appear as a plugin for Illustrator. With that installed you will be able to get the vectors from Illustrator to the plotter to cut vinyl. The device is not capable of printing, however.

S

sean0115

Ya but signcut wont work with CS5? I guess Im asking how do I get this thing to print?

Malkin

Try getting it to work with Inkscape instead (it's free, and listed as being compatible)

S

sean0115

Ya I know it wont print I ment to say cut and no I dont have the signcut software

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I do not think you will be able to cut directly from Illustrator. A bridge program such as SignCut is needed.

S

sean0115

So I can print right from inkscape and not have to download anymore software?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So I can print right from inkscape and not have to download anymore software?

Inkscape is an open source application that does many of the same things Adobe Illustrator does. All that the compatibility comment at your link means is that you can take the output from Inkscape and bring it into SignCut (and lots of other programs that are setup to bridge from a vector editing application to drive a plotter) to complete the path you need to cut vinyl with your plotter. Neither Illustrator nor Inkscape will drive your plotter.

I mean no rudeness but again I will point out that your plotter has no capability of printing anything. When you use the word "print" instead of cut or plot, you are identifying yourself as someone out of his depth in what you are undertaking. What comes out of the vector editor, be it Illustrator or Inkscape, is mathematical instructions which must be translated into suitable code to drive your plotter. That is part of what the link you supplied is trying to tell you when they tell you that SignCut handles that part of your need.

So yes, you need to pay someone for the plot program of your choice ... and their support in helping you get up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.