• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NEED: HP 5000 UV Media Advice

soundhound

I have had fantastic results with magic media (intellicoat) DMCVLA3 cast vinyl and their matching cast overlaminate (DMCVHO2). I expect minimum 3 years with NO FADING... and have been getting up to 7 years since the 90s.

My supplier now tells me that this market is falling off and that intellicoat has recently changed hands as well... and that this product line is now only available in 50" and 64" (i think) sizes, My printer is a 42".

Anyone have a great product to recommend to replace this one?
I would like to avoid returning to the 3M product as it was not that great, and cost a lot more.

Tony McD

I searched several years ago for a decent vinyl for the hp.
Tried some majic products, not sure if it was the same one you liked.
Found a lot of brands would last 3-6 months and start splitting.

The only one that worked well for me was 3m8522, and the matching laminate.
> > https://www.kapco.com/cms/b31884aa1cc9af5c/index.html
It does get a bit pricy with the matching laminate.

In 2004, I used it for printed graphics on a nursing home bus.
Saw the bus up town a couple months ago, and the print still looks good.
I encapsulated the print to the bus, leaving about 1/4" of lam. to seal the edges.

I also have some prints on signs done the same way that's held up fine for 3-4 years so far.

I still have my hp 5500uvps but only use it occasionally for a poster or two.
It's a real work horse, too bad it's not more economical to run.
About everything else is printed on the Roland ecosol printer.

soundhound

Thanks--- I guess I will keep looking

If I have to I will go back to the 3M... but the intelicoat was so much better.
Anybody have any experience with the new calendared versions (cvla4 and cvla5)?
I just hope that 3M keeps making the aqueous media and laminate.
I really can't see solvent working for me, and UV is too pricey.

I can get incredible results from the HP5500, and they outlast solvent prints and UV too! OK, they cost a bit more to produce because of the media, but the resolution and color is much better than any solvent I have seen. It might be the climate up here (Northern Vermont) that makes them work so well, or the fact that our UV is some of the worst anywhere... and the aqueous seems to hold up better to high UV and low heat situations.