• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need LED message sign software

G-Artist

I have a merchant who runs a local neighborhood store who is having a bit of a problem.

He purchased a single-line LED message sign for his store and the folks (sign shop) he bought it from installed it and everything went well for a while. Then, one day, they vanished. literally.

His problem is that they were the ones who programmed whatever messages he wished to display.

So, I think I am the guy who is going to have to climb on his roof and figure out who made the unit along with whatever data I can glean.

I need to know exactly what info anyone who is willing to help me in this endeavor needs to know to help me help him get some software so he can program messages within the store and once again have a functioning sign.

Oh, and is there some sort of 'univeral' software or is most of it sign-specific?

Thanks.

cgsigns_jamie

All the ones I've dealt with have their own proprietary software.

Daktronics has Venus 1500
WatchFire has Ignite
HiTech LED has ComPlay

milliken12

Yes they do. We would need to find out what kind of sending/rec. cards are in them. If you get that info I might be able to help you out.

as stated all proprietary software. there are a few people that i know of that service and support a couple of the manufacturer's systems that have gone out of business.

we need to know manufacturer. model numbers and that should get us started to identify what the situation is.

i;ve seen a few different setups so you might want to quiz your client. if the programmer was using a sending unit or if he was sending it via his laptop OR if he used the clients computer on site OR if he actually plugged into the sign when changing the message content...can't tell you how many times i have had ppl complain about similar situation only to look on their computer and find the software is installed they had just never used it because they had someone come on site to change their messaging.

G-Artist

Thanks...have been out to the site several times or started to and BAM!!! lightening in the area.

Not going up on the roof with a metal ladder.

Since I am done for the day I was loading up my ladders once again and the sky just blackened. My lawn needs the rain but I don't...oh well.

I am going to print out all the replies so I don't fail to get all the info I need from the owner.