• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need major help from the screen printing vets!

John Butto

silkscreaming

If you have abraded (microgrit brand name from Ulano) your screens and
degreased them and your emulsion is not sticking because you feel you have followed the directions, it is your exposure time. You need to get a step wedge exposure film strip to help you get the right time for your light source. I don't know if you are using single source light or tubes for your UV but that could be a problem where you just are not exposing long enough or too much. You might also need to replace your light source since they do lose their UV after so many hours of use.

diamondavenue

If nothing is staying on it sounds like an exposure issue, almost as if the emulsion is receiving no uv light transmission at all. Is there new glass on the unit, or are there new bulbs? If either was replaced the bulbs could be the wrong type and not putting out the correct light spectrum, or the glass could be inhibiting the transmission of light. Put a coated screen in for 15 mins with a coin on the screen and then to try blow it out. Light obviously wont go through the coin so it should wash out even with the ridiculous time. That will give some clue as to what the issue is.

Pro Image

If you want to switch emulsion.....May I suggest Ulano QTX......Ive never had a problem with it and 2 minutes in the 6 bulb exposure unit and Ive got nice screens......

SlamMan

If you expose one in the sun you'll be able to confirm whether or not it's the emulsion or your just not getting enough exposure.

d fleming

If you want to switch emulsion.....May I suggest Ulano QTX......Ive never had a problem with it and 2 minutes in the 6 bulb exposure unit and Ive got nice screens......

QTX and RLX both good stuff. RLX is more forgiving to room light so you don't have to be so careful about walking across a room with it.

jason-23

your exposure time is to short or your exposure unit is weak/junk. you could expose it in the sun in about 1-3 minutes. my exposure unit is a work horse 1000 point and burns screens in one minute.

BSTCLOTHING

My first thought might be underexposure. After reading all the comments here you have enough info to test a couple things. Here is my contribution. Two things, maybe you are holding the pressure washer too close to the screen while washing out? And also if there is not a proper seal against the glass and its getting light where it shouldn't therefore exposing part of the image. Then when you go to wash it out you spend a lot of time trying to get those accidentally exposed areas, therefore saturating the emulsion so much that it swells and falls off the screen. Just things that i have experienced.