• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need more Fonts

Davesign21

An earlier post reminded me of the need for more fonts. Even distressed fonts, one that looks like weeds coming up from the bottom, comes to mind. I’ve been dreading this because of the many choices! I’d rather you guys just tell me what to buy! Also a font finding app? Also can I import the font app. directly into Flexi.

rjssigns

I mainly use these two when I need something. Letterhead fonts are incredible.
Letterheadfonts.com
SignDNA.com

I have found that even though there are roughly 600 fonts on my system, I only use a handful of them.

Take a look at layout books. Simple fonts with solid layout, kerning/leading, colors and proper use of negative space will do more for the sign than some distressed/weird font.
I also reference vintage signs for ideas. Those folks that used brushes were on point.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
An earlier post reminded me of the need for more fonts. Even distressed fonts, one that looks like weeds coming up from the bottom, comes to mind. I’ve been dreading this because of the many choices! I’d rather you guys just tell me what to buy! Also a font finding app? Also can I import the font app. directly into Flexi.
Over the past 17 years of being in the business, I've amassed well over 10,000 fonts. Sometimes when I'm bored, I use Google search terms to find them on unsecured servers and web pages. You can easily find thousands of name brand fonts that way. One day when I retire, I'll put my collection up for sale.

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
www.dafont.com

I like this one over many other 'free' font sites as it is a secure server.
I have to disagree w/ you on dafont.com. The greater majority of what's available there are either designed poorly, produced even worse (it seems many of these font "designers" have never heard of kerning), or demo versions that are missing glyphs & other weights. Many of the available fonts have even reached the trifecta status of by earning all three labels. They are certainly free to download but you get what you pay for. I use MyFonts.com as my primary resource and LetterheadFonts.com when I need that extra special vintage, retro, or just far out way cool font that no one else in the area seems to own.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'll second the recommendation of shopping at the MyFonts web site, as well as other legit commercial fonts sales sites (fonts.com, fontshop, letterhead fonts, etc). I check the MyFonts site at least a couple or so times per week to see what is newly released, new fonts that are selling best and seeing what is on sale. It's pretty common to see new type family releases discounted by as much as 90%. Occasionally some existing type families will go on sale. The MyFonts site isn't the only one offering deals either. It pays to shop around. During a given year I'll buy at least a dozen or more type packages. It doesn't take long to build up a decent collection of FRESH high quality commercial fonts. One can go back to an old CorelDRAW fonts folder only so often.

The free fonts web sites can sometimes be useful. I usually only visit dafont when I'm having to get a certain scruffy free font used in some customer provided JPEG "logo" file. For free yet good fonts, I'll usually visit the Google Fonts web site or Font Squirrel.

The Adobe Fonts service is pretty valuable for Creative Cloud subscribers. At last count they have 2446 type families available to sync. They have quite a few fairly recent releases in there. My only complaint about Adobe Fonts is they currently don't offer any variable font families. Most of my latest type buys have been ones with OTF variable fonts included in the package.

caribmike said:
Sometimes when I'm bored, I use Google search terms to find them on unsecured servers and web pages. You can easily find thousands of name brand fonts that way. One day when I retire, I'll put my collection up for sale.

Everybody has at least a few fonts they've acquired by less than 100% legal means. Although I prefer being as honest and legit as possible. It's one thing to merely have a copy of a company's full type library downloaded for nothing. But re-distributing or actually trying to sell it is asking for big big trouble.

Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Having set type, real live lead type, for a large portion of my early years, a pet peeve of mine is referring to a typeface as a font. I realize that they're called 'font files' but that's because whoever generated that name didn't know the difference either. A font is a specific instance of a typeface. Specific size, weight, width, etc. such as 12 point bold extended Garamond. A typeface is a particular style like Helvetica, Futura, Clarendon, etc. That being the case, if there ever was something that should be called a typeface it's what's popularly called a font in digital land.

Then there's this thing that digital text warriors refer to as 'kerning' which is really 'letter spacing'. No matter what you call it, there are rules but the most important rule and the one that digital hacks constantly violate is the notion of 'type body'. A character in a font sits on what's called the face of a rectangular slug of lead. The dimensions to that face, height and width, are the type body. Just picture an uppercase character with a bounding rectangle This is rectangle is inviolate by typesetters, there's no way that any part of any character can occupy any part of the type body of any neighboring character. It's a physical impossibility and is considered bad typography. There are exceptions but those are created by the type foundry, not the typesetter. I've .some fonts with some really goofy-looking slugs in order to accommodate this sort of thing. Digitally, where type body violation can be done out of hand, it's one of those things that you can do but you shouldn't. Ever. Spare me the cries of this being a brave new world where such things can now be done, etc. It's still bad typography. Resist the temptation to slide the left leg of that A under the top portion of the P to its left. Not only does it not look right but it's also bad typography. People have been seeing and reading text created with movable type for almost 600 years and even if they don't know the rules, they know what they're seeing. Violate the rules without having a good reason for doing so and your text will look strange to most people without them actually knowing why.

Thus endeth the lesson.

KGraphics

Anyone know where I can find "BD Script" customer designed their logo on Canva and it's not vectorizing nicely and of course they are on a time crunch :rolleyes: