• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need plotter suggestions

AKProbeGT

First off I currently work at a small franchise sign shop. Technically my job is graphic designer but there is only 2-3 employees including my boss so needless to say I fill a lot of roles. I've been there over 2.5 years and over the past year I've become very unhappy with the way the company is run. My boss doesnt care to grow the company which leaves makes for little in the way of future opportunities.

That being said I'm seriously considering starting my own company, focusing on vehicle wraps. I'm trying to do as much research as I can but one thing I'm unsure of is the area of plotters. I feel I a plotter for 15" punched vinyl will suffice but dont know which to buy. I currently use a Gerber Envision and its a great machine but I'd like to know if there are cheaper options out there. I'm willing to pay for a quality machine but would like to keep my startup cost low. My other concern along the same lines is the software needed. I currently use Composer at work but again its quite expensive. I'd really like to stick to all Apple computer. It seems that the MagiSign Plugin for Illustrator will solve that problem but I wouldnt mind hearing other's opinions.

thanks

Bill Modzel

Graphtec plotters come with an Illustrator plug in called Cutting Master for the Mac. Also for Corel on the pc.
I'm not sure why your considering a 15" plotter and talking about doing wraps. If that's really your target plan you better up your investment big time. Printer, laminator, plotter, $20K startup at the very low end IF you can find good used stuff.

AKProbeGT

Printing and laminating would be outsourced for the time being. Obviously its not as profitable but it doesnt have the big startup cost either. I probably would be wise to get a 24" cutter though. Thanks

Bill Modzel

Good idea on the outsourcing. Still, 24" is sufficient for most vinyl jobs but not so if you are going to be cutting your large stuff. The price difference may make it a smarter choice to get what you will need now instead of selling and replacing later.
I sold my three year old Graphtec 30" and got a new FC7000-100 this year because of the printer I got this spring.