• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some help with this

andy

Know your limits...

Until you can construct a good looking website without obsolete table layouts and which lack nice image content and informative content I wouldn't waste time shooting for the moon.... Android & Ipad software won't like your table layouts so it's pointless going any further.

When you are ready Google will have an SDK for Android Apps... so will Apple for their Ipad OS.

Locals Find!

Ok, I am getting a lot of flack here on my trying to do this for my client. If someone out there wants to step up and be willing to take on this project. I am not opposed to contracting out on it.

CES020

Know your limits...

Until you can construct a good looking website without obsolete table layouts and which lack nice image content and informative content I wouldn't waste time shooting for the moon.... Android & Ipad software won't like your table layouts so it's pointless going any further.

When you are ready Google will have an SDK for Android Apps... so will Apple for their Ipad OS.

He said it was a client that wanted to do it, not him on his own website. Without knowing the clients website, you can't say it's pointless going any further.

Personally, I'm not sure why you'd want to know every time someone was using your .mobi site. All it would take is for the robots to hit that site and then you'd be getting email alerts day and night about someone hitting the site, when it's just being crawled by spiders. I mean it's not like knowing someone's using your .mobi gives you knowledge that you can act on is it? Someone's using my mobi domain, let me....oh wait, there's nothing I can do, other than know someone's there.

I think someone hit on it earlier. If they want to know when someone is using their .mobi site, turn the logs on, on the server, and then have it email the log to you daily. You'd see all the traffic, hits, etc. from that and it would be in summary form rather than getting hit with emails all day.

Just my 2 cents.

Locals Find!

He said it was a client that wanted to do it, not him on his own website. Without knowing the clients website, you can't say it's pointless going any further.

Personally, I'm not sure why you'd want to know every time someone was using your .mobi site. All it would take is for the robots to hit that site and then you'd be getting email alerts day and night about someone hitting the site, when it's just being crawled by spiders. I mean it's not like knowing someone's using your .mobi gives you knowledge that you can act on is it? Someone's using my mobi domain, let me....oh wait, there's nothing I can do, other than know someone's there.

I think someone hit on it earlier. If they want to know when someone is using their .mobi site, turn the logs on, on the server, and then have it email the log to you daily. You'd see all the traffic, hits, etc. from that and it would be in summary form rather than getting hit with emails all day.

Just my 2 cents.

His thinking behind it, is because he is using QR codes on his listing signs he will be able to tell when someone is scanning them and be able to get real time information on whether someone is viewing the listing emailed to his phone. That is how it was explained to me.

I am with the rest of you I just check my logs and analytics at the end of a given period.

CES020

I see. Neat theory, but it'll never work in the real world. Too much noise out there and it would all come through.

Neat idea though. Good luck in finding someone, I'm sure it's possible, seems to me you'd just need a simple script on the .mobi site to email upon the launch of the site. I'm sure someone can do that fairly easily. Only issue if you cheap out would be that it would email you every time the page was hit, so if they hit the home page, navigate around, go back to the home page, it will send it again. You might see 10 emails from the same visit. For that reason, I'd think you'd need a little higher quality script that wouldn't allow that to happen and only send one from a unique visitor (just thinking out loud here).

tbaker

between all the bots ( google, yahoo, msn, etc) hitting the site continuously through the day, every minute of every day, 24 hours a day, it may not be the best idea around. Add to this the fact that everyone that visits a website is uniquely identified by an IP address ( not an actual name) you're not going to get anything worth half a crap.

IP, country of origin, browser, OS, these are things the site can grab, but unless someone logs in and uniquely identifies themselves, they're just bubba the faceless intarweb wanderer.

Can it be done, sure it could. Should it be done? I wouldn't recommend it. but if you're interested still PM me, I will work you out a price for coding it, a timeline for it to be completed, and all the rest of that.

signswi

This is extremely easy with Google Analytics, if you aren't running analytics (from one vendor or another, Google is most common) on your website you're doing the web wrong.

You don't want to notify the dude every time someone hits his site but you can give him exact numbers including geolocation, bounce rate, etc. etc. etc. on the mobile site just like on a "normal" site. I'm guessing what he's after is analytics he just doesn't know it and is asking for something more specific (notification of every hit) but stupid.

petesign

I hate that tables are obsolete, I learned to write websites in tables, and never fully grasped .css

I don't see why you would want an email every time someone landed on your site either. Other than being basically a hidden web page counter with an alarm bell that rings, what purpose would it serve? Without a way to contact every person who hits your page (wouldn't it be scary if mobile phones had static ip's with your phone number in them) what purpose would it serve? Would such a script be able to discern unique visitors vs. page views? If I went to their page and just hit reload a bunch of times, would it spam the living daylights out of their inbox?

Sounds to me like you should explain to your client that what they are asking for is instant gratification.. wait for some decent site metrics that can show them unique visitors, pages viewed for each visit, what pages they view, etc.. and they will gain a much better understanding of who went there, and why... and in the long run make their site much more valuable as a tool, rather than a Pavlonian response of ringing a bell every time someone stumbles across their page. Just a thought.

Locals Find!

This is extremely easy with Google Analytics, if you aren't running analytics (from one vendor or another, Google is most common) on your website you're doing the web wrong.

You don't want to notify the dude every time someone hits his site but you can give him exact numbers including geolocation, bounce rate, etc. etc. etc. on the mobile site just like on a "normal" site. I'm guessing what he's after is analytics he just doesn't know it and is asking for something more specific (notification of every hit) but stupid.

I appreciate your opinion Jesse however, my client knows exactly what he is asking for. The analytics will not and cannot do what he needs. I can tell who is visiting my site already from my own analytics don't need to share that with google. I need something for him that does exactly what he is asking for. I am not worried about bots because, this is a .mobi site and won't be in search engines or even submitted. Its only accessible to mobile phones or those that know the exact address.

signswi

I think you're confusing Google Analytics with the Google Pagerank spider but okay (I didn't mention anything about bot crawling). I assume then you'll be locking out the spiders with robots.txt? If it's only for mobile phones why not develop it as an app instead of as a website? I can just change the referrer in my browser and go to it on my workstation and the site will think it's a mobile, have you considered work arounds like that? I see a lot of small business clients that want to "lock down" coupon offers or whatever and it just ends up being gamed anyway.

In any case I found this link in about .5 seconds on Google, if it's not what you're looking for there are likely a lot more out there that aren't trying to get $47.
http://mobileemailtracker.josephschembri-online.com/

Locals Find!

I think you're confusing Google Analytics with the Google Pagerank spider but okay (I didn't mention anything about bot crawling). I assume then you'll be locking out the spiders with robots.txt? If it's only for mobile phones why not develop it as an app instead of as a website? I can just change the referrer in my browser and go to it on my workstation and the site will think it's a mobile, have you considered work arounds like that? I see a lot of small business clients that want to "lock down" coupon offers or whatever and it just ends up being gamed anyway.

In any case I found this link in about .5 seconds on Google, if it's not what you're looking for there are likely a lot more out there that aren't trying to get $47.
http://mobileemailtracker.josephschembri-online.com/

I did find that too it wouldn't run on my host. I am restricted to using a java script with the host because, of the way the pages get generated to be used on mobile phones. Its all greek to me. I just know they wouldn't let me use it.

If I can't find something he is just going to have to learn to live without and stick with the weekly analytic report I give him.

signswi

Your host is restricting script type based on user agent or something? Weird, even weirder since the above script is just php, what kind of host doesn't support php (the sheer size of the above script is suspicious to me though)? You could probably throw up a request for a jscript that does this on elance and have one that works for very small expenditure (which you'd just rebill the client anyway).