• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to identify this font

Baz

Any help is definately apreciated !!

Attachments

• QH_LOGO.jpg
    QH_LOGO.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 142

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Trajan Regular and Trajan Bold from Adobe. Historically on their top ten best seller list since the beginning of time.

Attachments

• La Garantie.jpg
    La Garantie.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 104

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Trajan is also the most glaringly over-used typeface for movie titles.

I threw together the attached collage a couple years ago as a reaction to the trend. The titles in the image are just a mere fraction of those using Trajan. Kind of a sad thing. Trajan is a very stately looking typeface. But the overuse is just killing it.

Attachments

• TrajanOverused.jpg
    TrajanOverused.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 141

Jen Goodwin

Nice Job Bobby! I was sure I wasn't the only one pointing out what font was used on movies....my husband is a little sick of it! :biggrin:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Kool job Bobby.

Here in my area we have exclusive old Palm Beach where every other store window is done in Trajan. I'll admit I thought it was pretty elegant in 1991 or so when it first came out.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I just got back home from a late showing of "The Interpreter." Pretty decent political thriller. The first movie ever filmed inside the U.N. But yet another film that used Trajan on the titles.

"The Interpreter" is also yet another film that misuses Trajan as a small caps typeface. The folks doing the title work artifically enlarge letters to make large capitals. Trouble is the stroke widths don't match. That bugs the crud out of me. There's only a bunch of other worthwhile typefaces with actual small cap weights that would have worked just fine. Lots of Garamonds or Caslons to choose (Adobe's is nice, but I'm kind of partial to the Berthold version that came as a bonus to the otherwise disappointing Adobe Illustrator 4.0). A light weight of Copperplate perhaps. Or even the tried and true PalatinoSC?

Or maybe...just maybe...the film studio could have actually spent a little money (relatively speaking) to commission Adobe, Linotype or someone to come up with an actual small caps weight. Imagine that. Sometimes film studios actually go to the trouble to do this. I could be wrong, but didn't Fox hire House Industries to develop the Simian font family for "Planet of the Apes"?

As a film fan and graphic artist, I sort of have a kind of fixation on this topic, which may be completely meaningless to most others. I actually liked the old days when more film titles were actually generated as real word marks or logotypes. Remember the one for "Robocop"? I liked that one quite a bit.