• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to make a new site - advice?

FactorDesign

I tries SS a few years ago and absolutely hated it. For my hobby website I went with Weebly which was much easier to use. Apparently, SquareSpace, Weebly and Wix (et al) are terrible for SEO. shrug

This person wasn't happy either:

I'll Never Use Squarespace Again

Gotcha. I've only read good reviews and built a personal (not sign related) portfolio site with it. Most of my experience has been in ecommerce, but after the frustration of many of those platforms, I found Squarespace to be excellent. Also, I just read that review/rant from 2013. wow. What an unhinged person, and at the end squarespace helped them fix it for free, with a 10 minute fix.

Colin

^^^ Yes, but should one have to go through all that frustration to begin with? I recall the SS staff to be exceedingly polite, but that's only one component of good service.

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
^^^ Yes, but should one have to go through all that frustration to begin with? I recall the SS to be exceedingly polite, but that's only one component of good service.

I would contact them an see if the support has been implemented... and yeah, I believe someone has to go through the frustration in order to fix any issues for the next person. It's been over 4 years since that blog post was written and if those issues have been addressed, I would not count out any solution. By the way, seems like what that designer was trying to do might be a little out of most non-web designers capacity... by the way, I'm one of them and though I can fiddle with it... Gigi is the web designer here, I work on content...

Another thing... is the majority of your work coming from your website?

SEO this and SEO that... blah blah blah... have you been keeping track of your stats on a weekly or monthly basis since getting your site up? We do...
Like most here, we do nearly no social media, rarely update and no blog entries. We look at our dismal web stats and the only time we get a spike is when we mention it somewhere or go after specific clients on an email blast or mailer to specific companies who might use our services. On my personal design site, I actually do not want local design work... I use it as a digital portfolio for potential clients. Yeah you need SEO but you need other online marketing efforts to make the site more effective... are you doing any?

Now, with all the suggestions, I think you need a solution that makes it easy for you to make and add when needed. You should never expect this to last more than 5-8 years. We like Muse because it works well with our workflow and integrates well with Adobe suite, with templates, a old sign guy like can make a site with little effort... through really, it's Gigi's job because she is better at it then I am...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Control of your content is key! I just completed my site in 4.5 days, and can change photos and and copy on the fly. Not to mention the SEO and marketing very easy. www.http://hobokensign.com

WIX.com was the answer for me.

I built my first site in Flash, second site with html.(need experienced coders) my final site was built on Word Press. Also more complex than marketed as. Good Luck!

Are you looking for any comments?
If not, I'll say these 2 things...
The quality of layout on your website does not reflect the true craftsmanship of your sign work...
I lost interest due to frustration when I looked at it on my phone...

Jim Hill

I am now on my 5th New website in the past 18 years.
I also started with Frontpage years ago but then I found the drag and drop editor programs which really made building a new website much faster.

I also wanted complete control of my website which I now have and I can change things every five minutes if I feel like it.

First thing is never have your domain name hosting service be the same hosting service you use for your website. The reason is simple if you ever want to move to another hosting service you have complete control of your domain name and they cannot black mail you into paying them to release it.

Always use a hosting service that supports CPanel which is your control panel for your website because that way you can move your website anytime you are not happy with the hosting service.

I happen to like Kadzom Tech which is out of CA.They have many features that I like including a great SEO program and everything you build can be moved to another hosting service that also supports CPanel and Site Builder software.

With some of the bigger name hosting companies it is harder to change hosting services because you are using the templates to create your new website so when you want to move you realize you cannot take your website with you which means building another new site.

In my case I have almost 1,325 products listed for sale and hundreds of pages and the thought of not being able to move my website at any time to another hosting company is scary!

Take time and make sure you own your own domain name and build your new site and always have complete control over everything!

Jim

Jim Hill

I am now on my 5th New website in the past 18 years.
I also started with Frontpage years ago but then I found the drag and drop editor programs which really made building a new website much faster.

I also wanted complete control of my website which I now have and I can change things every five minutes if I feel like it.

First thing is never have your domain name hosting service be the same hosting service you use for your website. The reason is simple if you ever want to move to another hosting service you have complete control of your domain name and they cannot black mail you into paying them to release it.

Always use a hosting service that supports CPanel which is your control panel for your website because that way you can move your website anytime you are not happy with the hosting service.

I happen to like Kadzom Tech which is out of CA.They have many features that I like including a great SEO program and everything you build can be moved to another hosting service that also supports CPanel and Site Builder software.

With some of the bigger name hosting companies it is harder to change hosting services because you are using the templates to create your new website so when you want to move you realize you cannot take your website with you which means building another new site.

In my case I have almost 1,325 products listed for sale and hundreds of pages and the thought of not being able to move my website at any time to another hosting company is scary!

Take time and make sure you own your own domain name and build your new site and always have complete control over everything!

Jim
This is an update to my previous post.
I no longer use Kadaom Tech for a hosting service for my website because of a lack of anyone in their support system which really turned out to be just one person the owner.
What I went through with this company is often refered to has Hosting Hell because they really talked a good game but also did not know what they were doing.

I had a problem with my site not redirecting properly and they plain and simple had no idea how to fix it and it took me many months to find someone who could fix the problem.

The shopping cart I use is from AbanteCart which is a great open source system and once I posted on their site asking for help I was contacted by Lee Legrand who offered to fix my problem which turned out to be very complicated and took a few weeks of her valuable time.

Long story short is I now host my website with AbanetCart and Lee takes care of everything for my website which has made me life easy again after being in hosting hell for over a year.

When you are looking for a new hosting company they all have a great story about how good they are but in the real world finding a person like Lee is hard to find.
I consider myself very lucky to have met her and started working with her. Lee is a true professional and really knows computers and the AbanteCart system inside and out.
Jim Hill