• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to modify a model created in Aspire

Gene@mpls

I am making a piece for the dash of my CTS caddy coupe... I got this far and carved it from HDU but it needs more work. I got this far with the 2 rail
sweep and a lot of tinkering with the vectors in Aspire. I have sketchup and exported as a .stl (at 200k triangles- probably too high?) and opened in sketchup but
I am wondering if there is a different 3d modelling prog I should try instead? Thanks Gene

Attachments

• Non nav cover 10.14.jpg
    Non nav cover 10.14.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 195

DravidDavid

Are the changes having to be exactly symmetrical?

I've never used Aspire and have only used very early versions of Sketchup. But 200K triangles is going to be a pain in the rear to try and modify, unless you use some sort of sub-divisional selection tool or brush select to extrude or contort the surface to how you want it. I wouldn't want to be selecting the individual triangles.

Blender is free to download and is a very advanced 3D application. I'd suggest perhaps exporting a low resolution version of your object out of your existing program, (in quads if possible) make your changes and subdivide in Blender.

Otherwise, you can grab the free trial of the Autodesk products and give that a crack. Maya is great, but 3DS Max is known to be more suited to what you're doing.