• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Need to pick the brain of an illustrator guru.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Every time I try using illy I get frustrated. I thought maybe if I just ask questions as I need them.

1. how can I turn off the x and y info whereby just leaving the h/w? Or any other stuff I don't care to see on the workspace.
2. the eyedropper doesn't show the values of colors as you hover over shapes?
3. ways to duplicate a shape other than copy /paste, alt+move? Any other keyboard shortcuts
4. No way to display color values of a shape within the workspace. Should be able to select a shape and without touching anything else see the color values

clarizeyale

these are funny.

1. I don't think you can remove the x/y as that is the location of the object/shape in the artboard. you ARE however able to remove/pick and choose any tools from the side toolbars. (window -> new tools panels/manage tool panels)

2. you can have the "color window" open and it can tell you the cmyk or pantone values. This window can easily be added to the right hand side tools and hidden/minimized when not needed (window -> color)

these windows usually float unless you click and drag to the appropriate side toolbar unless it's already on a side toolbar.. it just opens

3. I think that's the best way to duplicate the shape other than making it into a pattern (which if youre a novice to illustrator, can be just as confusing and frustrating to turn back into a scalable, vector object)

4. same with #2. if you select the object/shape, the color window will tell you the cmyk or pantone values. IF your object is made up of a group of vectors, you can double click the object until it is in isolation mode to move/make changes to that single object without messing with the other shapes

clarizeyale

might I also suggest checking out tutorials. if you're not going to take a class to learn how to use illustrator, you may be better off teaching yourself with tutorials and with trial and error. I was doing this in HS with photoshop and have been doing this successfully since working at the sign shop. you'd be amazed at all the crazy stuff you'll learn!

untitled

Every time I try using illy I get frustrated. I thought maybe if I just ask questions as I need them.

1. how can I turn off the x and y info whereby just leaving the h/w? Or any other stuff I don't care to see on the workspace.
2. the eyedropper doesn't show the values of colors as you hover over shapes?
3. ways to duplicate a shape other than copy /paste, alt+move? Any other keyboard shortcuts
4. No way to display color values of a shape within the workspace. Should be able to select a shape and without touching anything else see the color values

1. I think it's either you have both sets of info or you have none. ctrl+u turns it on/off, or View -> SmartGuides.
2. I have never seen the eye dropper show the color value as you hover over and object. I don't think it's possible but I may be wrong.
3. ctrl+m gives you the move option so you can input how far and such you want to move an object.
say you have something inside a circle and you want to duplicate it around the circle. Select the object you want to copy and then with the rotate tool selected alt+click center of what you want it copied around. You will get a box with the degrees. Enter the degrees you want it rotated and press copy. If you want to copy it around the whole circle use ctrl+d and it will make copies at the same degree it was first rotated at. You can also use transform which will give options to rotate/mirror/scale and then be able to copy that same object from there. al+shift+ctrl+d.
You can also edit your shortcut keys by going Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts.
4. The color value when you click on an object should be shown in the color menu box if it's expanded. Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not?

shoresigns

There are many ways to duplicate a shape in Illustrator.
  • Alt+Arrow Keys
  • Alt+Click and drag
  • Object > Transform > Move (shortcuts are Ctrl+Shift+M or simply the Enter key), input your values and use the Copy button
  • Ctrl+D repeats the last duplication, good for a quick step and repeat
  • Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform allows you to step and repeat with many options including scale and rotation. This is a live effect, so to expand into paths, go to Object > Expand Appearance. Transform effects can also be stacked, for example to make a step and repeat grid.
  • Patterns and scatter brushes can also be used to make many copies of an object.

Saturn

Aging Member
A couple things to add that might be useful.

To jump straight to the move/step and repeat options, select your shape and double click either arrow tool in the default toolbar. Make sure to hit 'preview' if you aren't used to using this or don't have an exact distance determined. Once you hit 'OK' or 'Copy' you can hit CTRL-D to step and repeat that shape repeatedly. Can make columns and rows a cinch.

*On the secret double click topic, you can also double click the hand tool at the bottom of the toolbar to automatically recenter the artboard on the screen. Does the same thing as CTRL-O.

Regarding the color issue, I think you can open the 'Info' window and select 'more options.' This should then display the CMYK value of the selected vector object.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Thanks all. I have no intention of ever being an illy user for the simple fact that some of the most basic tasks/info you need you really have to dig for.

Coreldraw's workspace is fully customizable to one's liking.
If I wish to only see the selected shapes h/w I simply hold the alt key then drag whatever info/tool off the toolbar/workspace. I can put it back if need be.

BONUS: The eyedropper tool shows the color values as you hover over different colors
To duplicate a shape copy/paste, cntrl+d, + on the number pad, drag shape then hit right mouse button before releasing, drag shape then hit space bar

Cntrl d for repeat? Hmmm the word doesn't even have the letter d in it! btw the corel shortcut for repeat is cntrl+r and for DUPLICATE is ctrl+d

p.s. I did manage to figure out how to display the color values of selected shape. Only took 20min to figure it out. Hmmm...user friendly?

WildWestDesigns

Thanks all. I have no intention of ever being an illy user for the simple fact that some of the most basic tasks/info you need you really have to dig for.

To be honest, I'm not really understanding this post.

What is in bold seems to conflict with each other.

Why even bother asking questions if you have no intention to ever being a user of Ai, unless there is another reason for this post.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
To be honest, I'm not really understanding this post.

What is in bold seems to conflict with each other.

Why even bother asking questions if you have no intention to ever being a user of Ai, unless there is another reason for this post.

I can see why that would "bother" some. It comes with the occupation. On occasion I have to use illy so I'm trying to familiar myself with it as to not get so frustrated.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Software snobbery at it's best, I didn't even open this thread till he posted his response...

Seeing how he has stated many times before his disdain for the program and how he would never work at a place that used it, it's obvious he's attempting to bolster some ill-placed insecurity.

It's too bad he took the link down of where he worked, having had a look, it would be better if he actually became more skilled in the art of layout and design and attempted to design more than just bad promotional signage than to keep feeding his obsession of some minor differences in software he has yet to have complete command of.

WildWestDesigns

I can see why that would "bother" some. It comes with the occupation. On occasion I have to use illy so I'm trying to familiar myself with it as to not get so frustrated.

So do you or don't you have an intention of being a user? You say you don't, but then you say that you do, because you "have to".

I have my problems with DRAW, which is why I don't even have it installed, even though it came with a copy of my digitizing software and the digitizing software is designed to work in conjunction with DRAW. I find it easier for me to work around that then to try to use DRAW. But I don't go around asking how to use DRAW and then say why DRAW (in my opinion) is inferior to Ai. There are going to be pros and cons that affect all users and affect them differently.

I guess I'll have to put the Cult of DRAW right there along with the Cult of Mac.

AKwrapguy

Coreldraw's workspace is fully customizable to one's liking.

So is illustrator. In fact you can set up you work space with all the customization and save it. You can than go to another machines and log in and still use that customization.

Corel, Illustrator, Flexi, Omega, these are all just tools to get the job done.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I learned stuff.
So is there a shortcut key combo to throw a rectangle around selected objects?
In Corel with something selected you shift - double click the rectangle tool. Easy and useful.

wayne k
guam usa

Andy_warp

So do you or don't you have an intention of being a user? You say you don't, but then you say that you do, because you "have to".

I have my problems with DRAW, which is why I don't even have it installed, even though it came with a copy of my digitizing software and the digitizing software is designed to work in conjunction with DRAW. I find it easier for me to work around that then to try to use DRAW. But I don't go around asking how to use DRAW and then say why DRAW (in my opinion) is inferior to Ai. There are going to be pros and cons that affect all users and affect them differently.

I guess I'll have to put the Cult of DRAW right there along with the Cult of Mac.
Hey!

I love macs! Love Illustrator too.

I can run it on any machine though...

Ran into a coworker that was also reliant on his "customized" workspace.
An update came along...it did not support legacy "workspaces"

He was worthless for a month! Damn good at what he did...but his "customization" handicapped him!

You have to decide to love a program to get any good at it. All graphics programs have similar flavors.
If you can't connect the dots...well....

WildWestDesigns

Hey!

I love macs! Love Illustrator too.

I can run it on any machine though...

To me, the "cultist" moniker is beyond just loving a program or OS. You can "love" one thing, but still be pragmatic enough to use something else without having to tear it down. Tearing it down, just makes the experience of having to use it even worse, which makes the learning how to use it even worse. There are good and bad aspects of all programs.

Ran into a coworker that was also reliant on his "customized" workspace.
An update came along...it did not support legacy "workspaces"

That's a risk with any type of update. That's why a production computer should not be online. Just shouldn't. That's a huge reason why I'm not a fan of the subscription and/or cloud based solutions out there (there are other reasons then that, but that is a huge one with me). A production computer just shouldn't be on the internet. Period.

Now, I will admit, I do have customization on the programs that I use (the joys of using open source programs and OS, the ability to customize to the nth degree), but I certainly wouldn't try to run bleeding edge for production. I love Fedora as an OS, but I wouldn't use something that goes EOL every 13 months on a production computer where stability is key.

shoresigns

I learned stuff.
So is there a shortcut key combo to throw a rectangle around selected objects?
In Corel with something selected you shift - double click the rectangle tool. Easy and useful.

Illustrator is designed to be powerful for repetitive tasks, not to have a shortcut for every obscure individual task. If you have a hundred different objects and you want to draw a rectangle around each of them, it can be done in a few easy steps, with any colour/stroke/offset/etc you want. Great for weeding borders.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Illustrator is designed to be powerful for repetitive tasks, not to have a shortcut for every obscure individual task. If you have a hundred different objects and you want to draw a rectangle around each of them, it can be done in a few easy steps, with any colour/stroke/offset/etc you want. Great for weeding borders.

All done with macros
banner grommets and cut line, registration marks for plotting, find hidden shapes, create "my" crop marks, find all shapes that touch the currently selected shape, replace shapes with clones, detect intersects, quick scaling of vehicle photos, flatten empty layers, flatten empty pages, group shapes & keep respective layers, move to next layer without deselecting currently selected shapes, ....whole lot more I'm forgetting.

WildWestDesigns

All done with macros

In Ai it's scripts or actions, but essentially the same thing.

I actually do macros in a different way, I'll setup a bash script on the Linux side that affects my Windows VMs, so I can actually have system wide macros determined by whatever bash script that I use (and this would apply to all program and it actually gets around their limitations (if they have them) to set macros within the program itself). There are, of course, 3rd party Windows only macro solutions that do the same thing and have will be system wide.

This is actually the same way that I'm able to use devices in my really old VMs that have no driver support. Mainly for my Cintiqs, setting up macros view scripts.