• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to resurrect old sign business and upgrade all equipment

kristen-usss

Hey all! I want to resurrect our outdated sign company that we had to shut down 3 years ago. I clearly need to upgrade from an old Gerber Edge and Envision plotter to LFD printer plotter (40-60")
and have no idea where to start. I have a budget of around $15-20,000. Software is Gerber Omega 5 or 6. We do all exterior signage and vehicle lettering, so I am told to look into UV printers.
Can anyone give me some advice on this?
What software should I be using?
What brands are best?
UV printer or laminator?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much :)

John Miller

The new printer/plotter will eat up most of your 15-20k budget. I would suggest you buy digital printing online from an "only to trade" company. Get a feel for today's market in your area. Buy equipment that lets you run with your customer's needs based on the type of orders you get. Let the market tell you what you need.

Jumpshoutmedia

This is good advise.

I would add, don't fall into the trap of buying an old and/or used printer, or a cheap, chinese printer!

Both cases are going to end up costing you a ton of money to get (and keep) them working. If you really want to buy a printer and you're on a budget, I would recommend just financing one.
You don't need to buy a top of the line, expensive printer, but definitely make sure you buy a reputable brand name, from a dealer in your local area that can actually support you and take care of warranty issues to keep you up and running.

As far as technology, UV is great, but pure Solvent (non UV) ink will save you some money, and UV doesn't really offer you that much more functionality over solvent to make it worth spending extra money on it.

When it comes to brand names, i'm not the best guy to ask because I've been loyal to Roland and Mimaki for many years, but ONLY because I'm just that way. I'm sure there are a ton of great brands of printer that I've just never put the effort into checking out.

I can't stress enough to NOT fall into the trap of buying a Chinese inkjet that has a very enticing price and feature set! I've known several people who have done this, and have regretted it from the moment they sent the payment for it.

The most important component of any inkjet printer is going to be the print heads, and most of the big brand names all use the same type of heads made by Epson. (I know it's confusing, but my Roland printers all have Epson print heads in them, because they're the industry standard, so whatever printer you buy, just make sure it uses genuine Epson print heads (not "Epson compatible"). There are a lot of Chinese companies that have copied Epsons design, but they make them terribly cheaply, and that's why they can sell you a solvent inkjet printer for $3000-5000, while Roland or Mimaki charge $10,000-15,000 for a printer with very similar specs. It's mainly because the Chinese printer uses cheap, chinese knock-off print heads! Also, they "cheapen" up their printers by using no-name, chinese linear rails (the ball bearing rails that the print carriage glides across). They use cheap, no-name stepper motors, plastic ink pumps, misc "parts-bin" power supplies, etc. Basically the cheapest possible versions of every component they can source in China, bolted onto flimsy chassis, then they pile them up into a cargo container, ship them to the U.S, and sell them at prices that entice new/inexperienced buyers and people with small budgets who want to start a new business out of their homes and think they'll be printing banners and tee shirts the second their new printer arrives from China.

Cheap chinese printers are a nightmare, and if you even manage to get one running at all, you'll be lucky if the thing isn't leaking ink everywhere, clogging up, and breaking-down within a week.. and of course you won't get any support once the payment is sent. So, save your money!

I'm sorry if this turned into a very negative post.. but I've just seen too many small sign shops fall into this trap before, and have their entire budget eaten up by an expensive mistake that they're never able to use to actually make any money with, and I'd hate to see you fall for it as well.. which is why I would strongly recommend just financing a brand new printer, even if you end up paying a premium in interest charges, you're still better off because at least you'll HAVE a working printer to make money with which is better than a pile of junk under a drop cloth in the corner of your shop that has never made you a single penny.

Good luck!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Your budget is tight.

I would second using a Trade only printer to get started. This saves you money and saves you from buying crap equipment.
Then you can see what equipment you need to invest in. In that time your budget will also grow.
And also in that time, you can do further research in what you need.

A good trade printer will have tight turnaround times which makes it as you're printing it yourself.

kristen-usss

This is good advise.

I would add, don't fall into the trap of buying an old and/or used printer, or a cheap, chinese printer!

Both cases are going to end up costing you a ton of money to get (and keep) them working. If you really want to buy a printer and you're on a budget, I would recommend just financing one.
You don't need to buy a top of the line, expensive printer, but definitely make sure you buy a reputable brand name, from a dealer in your local area that can actually support you and take care of warranty issues to keep you up and running.

As far as technology, UV is great, but pure Solvent (non UV) ink will save you some money, and UV doesn't really offer you that much more functionality over solvent to make it worth spending extra money on it.

When it comes to brand names, i'm not the best guy to ask because I've been loyal to Roland and Mimaki for many years, but ONLY because I'm just that way. I'm sure there are a ton of great brands of printer that I've just never put the effort into checking out.

I can't stress enough to NOT fall into the trap of buying a Chinese inkjet that has a very enticing price and feature set! I've known several people who have done this, and have regretted it from the moment they sent the payment for it.

The most important component of any inkjet printer is going to be the print heads, and most of the big brand names all use the same type of heads made by Epson. (I know it's confusing, but my Roland printers all have Epson print heads in them, because they're the industry standard, so whatever printer you buy, just make sure it uses genuine Epson print heads (not "Epson compatible"). There are a lot of Chinese companies that have copied Epsons design, but they make them terribly cheaply, and that's why they can sell you a solvent inkjet printer for $3000-5000, while Roland or Mimaki charge $10,000-15,000 for a printer with very similar specs. It's mainly because the Chinese printer uses cheap, chinese knock-off print heads! Also, they "cheapen" up their printers by using no-name, chinese linear rails (the ball bearing rails that the print carriage glides across). They use cheap, no-name stepper motors, plastic ink pumps, misc "parts-bin" power supplies, etc. Basically the cheapest possible versions of every component they can source in China, bolted onto flimsy chassis, then they pile them up into a cargo container, ship them to the U.S, and sell them at prices that entice new/inexperienced buyers and people with small budgets who want to start a new business out of their homes and think they'll be printing banners and tee shirts the second their new printer arrives from China.

Cheap chinese printers are a nightmare, and if you even manage to get one running at all, you'll be lucky if the thing isn't leaking ink everywhere, clogging up, and breaking-down within a week.. and of course you won't get any support once the payment is sent. So, save your money!

I'm sorry if this turned into a very negative post.. but I've just seen too many small sign shops fall into this trap before, and have their entire budget eaten up by an expensive mistake that they're never able to use to actually make any money with, and I'd hate to see you fall for it as well.. which is why I would strongly recommend just financing a brand new printer, even if you end up paying a premium in interest charges, you're still better off because at least you'll HAVE a working printer to make money with which is better than a pile of junk under a drop cloth in the corner of your shop that has never made you a single penny.

Good luck!
Wow thank you SO much for taking the time to respond! Great info, so appreciative, I now feel more informed. Thank you!!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Welcome to the world of signs! We'd love to help you on your journey as a trade-only partner.

As far as equipment, you will get as many options listed here as you can count. All I can say is ask for test prints and try to meet your local service technicians if you can. If you can see the equipment print in a showroom or better yet, a friends shop, that's better.

Don't get stuck on UV. While we do run all UV, you can get some very long lasting prints with solvent and latex inks as well.

As it has been said, stick with one of the major name brands. A search on this forum for the manufacturer name should bring up 100+ results.

P.S. We'll make you a sweet deal on a 1 year old mimaki if you are interested!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
When I started working with my dad (15+ years ago) all we had was and Edge 2 and a Gerber plotter.

Once the demand/availability for large format printing increased, we slowly started working with local partners that we could outsource our prints to.
We kept this up for a year or two then took the plunge, leasing a Roland XC-540 (Eco-Solvent Printer/Cutter) and GBC Laminator.

We've since then paid that printer off, added another Roland printer, then an Oce Flatbed and then a Mimaki UV-LED printer and finally a Summa flatbed cutter, as well as a couple roll Summa plotters. (Still have the Edge & HS15+ plotter set up and running!)
Some people/companies would easily add all that equipment at once but we took baby steps as the demand increased.

You've received some great advice and I do believe finding a good wholesale (if local, even better) partner to help you get your feet wet. They assume all the risk and inventory and you just sell jobs.
Once you've saved up enough to buy a good printer, cutter, laminator, RIP (I would personally look at a Epson, Summa, GBC, Onyx in those departments - Maybe looking at 40-50K total?) and you've had some practice outsourcing prints, then it would be the right time to take the plunge. If you're ready before you can afford it and your books are in decent shape, leasing is always a good alternative to buying cash (in my opinion) and has worked well for us. Sure, you pay more in the end, but it doesn't tie up/eat up all your cash reserves. We try to buy smaller (lower value) equipment and software etc. cash, and leave the leasing to the larger expenditures.

Hope my 2 cents helps. All the best with your business revival!