• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Neon Replacement

AKProbeGT

I’m being requested to quote replacing the attached letters with either a LED retrofit or a total letter replacement. I’ve replaced some neon signs but they’ve typically had one or 2 transformers inside the building and all the wires ran to that. I haven’t been on site but from this picture it looks like 120v runs into the bottom of a transformer for each letter. Does that seem correct? I've never seen a transformer that looks like that but the customer isn't aware of any transformer located anywhere else.

Attachments

• letter insides.jpg
    letter insides.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 85

JBurton

Signtologist
Yup, PK housings on the transformer. Rope off the area below when doing the work, those'll go right through the hood of a car with enough height. You'll just want to price out one power supply per letter, rather than pulling new leads into that primary junction.

AKProbeGT

Yup, PK housings on the transformer. Rope off the area below when doing the work, those'll go right through the hood of a car with enough height. You'll just want to price out one power supply per letter, rather than pulling new leads into that primary junction.
Thank you. Are you saying they are very heavy? We'll be working on a ladder less than 10' off the flat roof below so they couldn't fall far. That was the plan, one power supply per letter connecting to the existing 120v coming in.

AKProbeGT

He's either retrofitting leds, or new letters, presumably with leds also.
Yes, either way this will be LEDs. Possibly a retrofit but most of the faces need replaced so it's probably going to be about the same cost for new letters versus tracing faces to make the old cans.

JBurton

Signtologist
If you go with new, I'd do a good survey of the electrical locations so you don't have to modify the letters, these look like they were probably all in line.
That or just a raceway and one primary wire, but then you'll have to make sure everything else is unhooked...