• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Neon Sign Parts (grid)

hitking

I am looking for a supplier for neon sign parts. In particular, the grid work and fasteners. But other parts as well. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Danny

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It's unnerving when someone asks for a supplier for electrical/neon components but the terminology and description they give indicates they aren't the least bit familiar with said components.

T

TonyC

Neon supplies

We get our neon and electrical components from Reece Supply or N. Glantz.

I am also not understanding the term "grid work." If you are talking about the sign frame or structure, we build our own frames from welded steel and wrap with aluminum.

nodrenim

Terminology

One thing I learned a long time ago, is this; there are different terms used for the same thing in different parts of the country. Some times you need to ask what the object is used for to give a good answer. Above all, keep an open mind and don't criticize some one because of their terminology. If we want our trade to survive and benefit us all, we need to remember when we were "the newbie". Peace, my brother.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'm not being at all critical. I try to be nothing but helpful on this forum.

I simply said it's unnerving when someone, for example, asks for a supplier of electrical components but it doesn't sound like they're at all familiar with what they're doing. That's not being critical - it's being concerned.

It's akin to someone asking for a supplier for gas line fittings so they can get parts for "the wiggly hose thingy on the back of their stove". It makes you wonder if they know what they're getting into.

That being said, my assumption is he has the type of neon sign you would see in a bar and is looking for components to fix it, in which there lies little danger. At the other end of the spectrum, maybe he wants to try to repair someone's neon sign and isn't the least bit qualified to do so. Regardless, my post is written out of concern - not out of criticism.

hitking

It's unnerving when someone asks for a supplier for electrical/neon components but the terminology and description they give indicates they aren't the least bit familiar with said components.

No need to be 'unnerved'. I have been in business for 38 years. I have not done anything with neon. As a favor, I'm trying to restore an old Wiedemann Beer sign for a customer. It is is window sign that is constructed on, for lack of a better term, metal 'grid'.

Thanks to those who responded.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
No need to be 'unnerved'. I have been in business for 38 years. I have not done anything with neon. As a favor, I'm trying to restore an old Wiedemann Beer sign for a customer. It is is window sign that is constructed on, for lack of a better term, metal 'grid'.

Thanks to those who responded.

Being unnerved wasn't an attack on you. It was just a general statement. It's not uncommon for folks to come to this forum and ask how to build a channel letter or install a cabinet sign or something similar. That's just not the kind of thing you're going to learn proficiently on a forum.

Like I said, I suspected you probably had a neon bar sign and now that you've confirmed it, it's a lot easier to provide help.

The parts that likely need replacing are the electrodes or tube supports, both of which you can get from N. Glantz, Grimco, Reece and others. If the neon is broken, some electrical sign companies still employ neon benders that may be willing to help. With the increasing popularity of LED's though, neon benders are becoming harder to come by.

hitking

Being unnerved wasn't an attack on you. It was just a general statement. It's not uncommon for folks to come to this forum and ask how to build a channel letter or install a cabinet sign or something similar. That's just not the kind of thing you're going to learn proficiently on a forum.

Like I said, I suspected you probably had a neon bar sign and now that you've confirmed it, it's a lot easier to provide help.

The parts that likely need replacing are the electrodes or tube supports, both of which you can get from N. Glantz, Grimco, Reece and others. If the neon is broken, some electrical sign companies still employ neon benders that may be willing to help. With the increasing popularity of LED's though, neon benders are becoming harder to come by.

I get it, I'm not offended. Surprisingly the tubes are good. It still lights. The frame and supports have rusted away. I would like to just carefully reconstruct it on a new frame. I have just never shopped for these kinds of parts. -Thank You

T

TonyC

Metal grid...

The "grid" or frame I believe would be a better term, is something which was mass produced for the beer sign. We use a smoke or dark colored polycarbonate for a mounting substrate. You can cut to size and bend the top and bottom edges to protect the neon tubes when mounted inside a window.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

nodrenim

neon sign grid

Now we are getting somewhere. You can measure the width and thickness of the metal bars, go to your local metal supplier and purchase what you need to do an original type of restoration. This metal can be bent in a vice with the aid of a good hammer, some time and energy. Have fun and Good Luck!

hitking

Here are some pictures

This is an example of what I'm talking about. This frame just screws together. You can see why originally called it a grid

Attachments

• DSCN0706.jpg
    DSCN0706.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN0707.jpg
    DSCN0707.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0708.jpg
    DSCN0708.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN0709.jpg
    DSCN0709.jpg