• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nesting software suggestions?

wonderings

We are looking to add some nesting software. I was demoing Onyx Thrive and like it, except it seems to have a 20 file limitation. Not sure why they have this limitation but it is there. The only other thing I can find in google is Enfocus Griffin. I have a request out for a demo, just waiting to hear back. Is there any other software people can recommend for nesting for wide format use on roll and flat bed?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thrive and Griffin is two completely different products.
What 20 file limit? You can't print over 20 files at once or? I don't think that's true.

ikarasu

Do you mean a rip? for just nesting rectangles / squares? Or a true nest?

Flexi, caldera, onyx (There is no 20 file limit, we do thousands). Just search for wide format rip.... all of them can do regular nesting. All of them are expensive and cost thousands of dollars though... unless you do the $50/100 monthly plans

If you're just looking for a nest... There is onyx truefit, I was never a fan of it though...

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I'm pretty sure they did. At least if you click on the trial it's not listed any longer.
Not the bestseller they wished for.
I actually really think Onyx might finally bring it straight in to the RIP nesting. We'll see... Could make it an Advantage feature only.

Caldera is still doing their Primecenter.

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I tried a demo of Tru fit, it seemed pretty nifty and I really liked it, but overkill for my production flow, I didn't need it, but the OP may really like it.

ikarasu

What does it cost?
$1995.

They kept hounding me after the trial asking for feedback / why I didn't want to buy it...

I told them I can see the appeal for laser / cnc users, but I planned on using it for vinyl.... To save $2000 in vinyl would have taken me decades.... And for CNC stuff (non printed) deepest is free and does a better job.

We don't do print and cut on substrates often enough to have spent 2k on it ... I think their issue was what they were charging, I doubt most shops would pay 2k for it.

It wasn't a polished onyx product either.... You could tell it was an app that just saved nested layouts, and aside from the name it had nothing to do with onyx... It wasn't integrated into onyx really, was a seperate program....

It did work good though. Maybe give it to advantage users, or charge a few hundred bucks for an upgrade.... But as soon as I heard the 2k price It killed all thoughts of me using it. I can see myself using it, and it making onyx better if it was built into onyx... And didn't cost 2k.

Megagrafix

President
We are looking to add some nesting software. I was demoing Onyx Thrive and like it, except it seems to have a 20 file limitation. Not sure why they have this limitation but it is there. The only other thing I can find in google is Enfocus Griffin. I have a request out for a demo, just waiting to hear back. Is there any other software people can recommend for nesting for wide format use on roll and flat bed?
Agfa Asanti

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
These are your options:

Onyx Trufit. (this is a watered down version of Tilia Labs - Griffin) it does work well. I have demoed it.
Tilia Labs - Griffin. Very good, Very expensive.
Caldera Percenter - I haven't tried, but i've heard really good things about it
CalderaRIP - it can do contour nesting, but not as intricate as the other 3. but better than your standard square nesting.

If onyx support TruFit, then id go that if you already have a RIP. it's the cheapest
if you need a RIP, then just go to caldera.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
$1995.

They kept hounding me after the trial asking for feedback / why I didn't want to buy it...

I told them I can see the appeal for laser / cnc users, but I planned on using it for vinyl.... To save $2000 in vinyl would have taken me decades.... And for CNC stuff (non printed) deepest is free and does a better job.

We don't do print and cut on substrates often enough to have spent 2k on it ... I think their issue was what they were charging, I doubt most shops would pay 2k for it.

It wasn't a polished onyx product either.... You could tell it was an app that just saved nested layouts, and aside from the name it had nothing to do with onyx... It wasn't integrated into onyx really, was a seperate program....

It did work good though. Maybe give it to advantage users, or charge a few hundred bucks for an upgrade.... But as soon as I heard the 2k price It killed all thoughts of me using it. I can see myself using it, and it making onyx better if it was built into onyx... And didn't cost 2k.
It's quite cheap compared to Tilia Labs - Griffin. pretty sure it's around 8k usd.

When i had the trufit demo, we had 1 job we used it on. it saved close to 4k worth of viny. The stickers where intricate shapes and the nesting was very good.
after that i didn't need it so i never bought it.
from memory you could do hot folders with it into onyx which is how they wanted you to use it.

wonderings

So I am demoing Onyx TruFit, it is still available and active. I requested a demo through the website and got it next day. We are also switching over to Onyx Align and testing out Onyx Thrive (RIP).

- I am currently using a demo of Onyx Trust and there is indeed a 20 file limitation to Onyx TruFit. I messaged my contact at Onyx to ask about this and he did confirm this. It seems bizarre to restrict to 20 and has made me immediately start looking for options, hence this thread.

- I have a demo question for Enfocus Griffin which looks like it is the same as Tilla Griffin.

We are looking for nesting based on shape, so it can squeeze things in and reduce waste, not just simple rectangle nesting.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
So I am demoing Onyx TruFit, it is still available and active. I requested a demo through the website and got it next day. We are also switching over to Onyx Align and testing out Onyx Thrive (RIP).

- I am currently using a demo of Onyx Trust and there is indeed a 20 file limitation to Onyx TruFit. I messaged my contact at Onyx to ask about this and he did confirm this. It seems bizarre to restrict to 20 and has made me immediately start looking for options, hence this thread.

- I have a demo question for Enfocus Griffin which looks like it is the same as Tilla Griffin.

We are looking for nesting based on shape, so it can squeeze things in and reduce waste, not just simple rectangle nesting.

Tilia Labs Griffen is Enfocus Griffin.
trufit is also Griffin, just watered down.

Esko own enfocus & Tilia Labs.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

If all you are looking for is nesting, don't discount E-Cut. It does more than just rectangles.