• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nesting software suggestions?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
If all you are looking for is nesting, don't discount E-Cut. It does more than just rectangles.

Agreed. I guess for high volume / any sort of automated workflow a RIP-level nesting feature would be a must, though.

For us "smaller" folk, nesting shapes in Illustrator or Corel is fine but when you're processing tons of files and/or using Web2print solutions that wouldn't be ideal.

wonderings

If all you are looking for is nesting, don't discount E-Cut. It does more than just rectangles.
Thanks, I will have a look at this
Tilia Labs Griffen is Enfocus Griffin.
trufit is also Griffin, just watered down.

Esko own enfocus & Tilia Labs.
sounds like there are not a lot of options in reality then, as I am basically just asking for demos of the same software, just one not as limited as the other. Have requested demos from both will see who answers first

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thanks, I will have a look at this

sounds like there are not a lot of options in reality then, as I am basically just asking for demos of the same software, just one not as limited as the other. Have requested demos from both will see who answers first

From a workflow point of view, there's not many out there.

just an FYI Griffin will be around 8k usd

Caldera Prime centre is an option.

wonderings

From a workflow point of view, there's not many out there.

just an FYI Griffin will be around 8k usd

Caldera Prime centre is an option.

I was just quoted $1440 for Griffin Desktop. This is an annual subscription. Price is not all that hefty for what it will save in material over a year. Waiting for a demo still and wondering if I am missing something or if this is a different version with less features? Price is from Enfocus

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I was just quoted $1440 for Griffin Desktop. This is an annual subscription. Price is not all that hefty for what it will save in material over a year. Waiting for a demo still and wondering if I am missing something or if this is a different version with less features? Price is from Enfocus
yeah it's about $8000 to buy it outright (if they still do that)

$1500 per year is good as long as you're saving that much. It is designed for the higher volume printers where savings like this will actually save you.

No it's exactly the same software.
Esko both own Tilia Labs & Enfocus. Tilia Labs is the creator of Griffin.

wonderings

yeah it's about $8000 to buy it outright (if they still do that)

$1500 per year is good as long as you're saving that much. It is designed for the higher volume printers where savings like this will actually save you.

No it's exactly the same software.
Esko both own Tilia Labs & Enfocus. Tilia Labs is the creator of Griffin.
Do you have Enfocus Griffin or Tina Labs Griffin? The big question I am tying to get answered is is there a 20 file limit for nesting. I have a bunch of jobs that have over 20 pieces, being able to only nest 80% of it is not that helpful

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Do you have Enfocus Griffin or Tina Labs Griffin? The big question I am tying to get answered is is there a 20 file limit for nesting. I have a bunch of jobs that have over 20 pieces, being able to only nest 80% of it is not that helpful
I haven't used it in a while, most of our jobs are rectangles.
But usually you don't nest all the files at once. Either do 1 at a time or 5 for example and do it in batches.

While this case I can understand it's 1 job with multiple files so you'd want to group them, but batch them. It's easier.

ONYXtechtips

The quandary regarding ONYX and shape based nesting comes down to processing power. ONYX will always apply a quickset to any file you open directly into RIP Queue. This quickset will process the file in the vertical and horizontal resolution. When you apply shape based nesting to say 100 decals, it would need to calculate the vertical and horizontal resolutions for each individual file or copy as it is rotated to fit the best nest. I think I have a pretty nice computer, but I would not want to wait the amount of time for the processors to calculate all the possibilities. So nesting would need to be completed prior to processing the image file. This is why we have ONYX Trufit. Trufit will process the rotations for the desired files PRIOR to image processing and then submit that image file to the RIP Queue as one image that the computer can easily process.

sbergman

If you want a cheap, easy to use program for optimization/nesting rectangles without the integration into your rip then I would recommend...

Optimalon.com

We have Caldera and my operator will often tell me how many boards a job will use (nesting) and if optimalon can beat Caldera then I have him drag the files into Caldera's nesting feature in the order optimalon recommends and then Caldera is able to nest them as efficiently as optimalon.

I think optimalon is$99/year or something like$9.99/month. Works for us.

nsm

Tilia/Enfocus/Esko Griffin is a solid product. It's a bit more geared towards packaging but will handle typical graphics/prints.

Another option I would suggest is take a look at i-Cut Layout. I think it's still in the Esko lineup for now until the kill it to focus on Griffin and Phoenix. i-Cut Layout was basically a watered down version of Enfocus Pit Stop Pro. It took the nesting features, smart contour creation, bleed generation, etc. and put it in a standalone package.

Otherwise I would suggest take a look at Caldera. They have been doing stuff with nesting for a few years. And if you want to spend the money then Enfocus Pit Stop would be my choice.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The quandary regarding ONYX and shape based nesting comes down to processing power. ONYX will always apply a quickset to any file you open directly into RIP Queue. This quickset will process the file in the vertical and horizontal resolution. When you apply shape based nesting to say 100 decals, it would need to calculate the vertical and horizontal resolutions for each individual file or copy as it is rotated to fit the best nest. I think I have a pretty nice computer, but I would not want to wait the amount of time for the processors to calculate all the possibilities. So nesting would need to be completed prior to processing the image file. This is why we have ONYX Trufit. Trufit will process the rotations for the desired files PRIOR to image processing and then submit that image file to the RIP Queue as one image that the computer can easily process.
This is a legacy coding issue with onyx that quite frankly has been outdated for 10 years at least. Most other rips have moved to process once mentality and storing dimensions in a random access way to make lightning fast decisions vs the Onyx method. This is apparent in the pixel perfect zooming too, where Onyx has to reload every time you zoom.

The other issue is that Onyx is not coded for multithreaded processing and is a 1 rip 1 thread and the largest deficiency is Onyx doesn't support OpenGL or Cuda language so it can utilize the processing power of thousands of cores and lightening fast RAM found in GPU cards.

Onyx could solve this by integrating TruFit seamlessly through HUB and pushing this heavy lift over to an app that is designed to be a workhorse, but unfortunately it doesnt.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
This is a legacy coding issue with onyx that quite frankly has been outdated for 10 years at least. Most other rips have moved to process once mentality and storing dimensions in a random access way to make lightning fast decisions vs the Onyx method. This is apparent in the pixel perfect zooming too, where Onyx has to reload every time you zoom.

The other issue is that Onyx is not coded for multithreaded processing and is a 1 rip 1 thread and the largest deficiency is Onyx doesn't support OpenGL or Cuda language so it can utilize the processing power of thousands of cores and lightening fast RAM found in GPU cards.

Onyx could solve this by integrating TruFit seamlessly through HUB and pushing this heavy lift over to an app that is designed to be a workhorse, but unfortunately it doesnt.
And make you pay $5000 a year for it probably... the way onyx is doing business.