• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

network printer

PMG

i want to print from my laptop(vista) to my printer on my XP machine,i set up the sharing on the xp machine and can see it on the vista machine but when i go to connect the printer on the vista machine it says it cant connect to the xp machine,,i have files and folder i am sharing on the same systems and that works ,,just cant print from vista to xp...anyone have any clues how to get this to work?:thankyou:i had a Hp printer on the xp machine and could print from vista and it shot craps so im now trying to use a Lexmark printer.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
sounds like you need the printers vista drivers installed on your vista machine. the xp ones probably won't work.

PMG

i installed the vista drivers on the vista machine and the xp drivers on the xp machine...no luck

njshorts

What model printer? Does it not have a LAN port or wireless capability? How is it connected to the primary computer?

PMG

it is a Lexmark x3350 and is connected to the xp machine via usb...like i said i can see the printer in my network folder on the vista machine,but it wont connect.

njshorts

not that it should matter, but to test:

xp machine: start > run, type in "cmd" without the " marks, then "net stop sharedaccess" without the " marks.

vista POS: start, control panel, security, windows firewall, set to off.

if it still doesn't connect, call me in the morning- i'd be happy to remote with ya and get it working, if you'd like. (or now, just PM for my cell number).