• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Networking PCs...

Bigdawg

Just Me
I have 3 computers on our internal network. All works fine and we can see the shared folders on each other's machines. Running into a couple of issues I don't know how to fix though.
I get an error saying I don't have access rights to attach a job to an email from another computer. Is there any way to allow this?
As I am working now, I have 2 computers sitting on my desk.. with 2 monitors. Is there any way to have one of the computers recognized as another drive that will publish to the network (not the internet) so I can get rid of one of the monitors, keyboards etc?
How can you - if you can - run a program from a different computer than the one it's installed on? I only have license for Quark and am wondering if I can run it on a second machine (not when it's running on the first) through the network.
Thanks

signage

One thing you can do to get rid of one of the monitors is to get a KVM switch it is a device that operates one keyboard, monitor (video) and mouse. You could also use a virtual networking program where you can access computers over your network. the only thing I am not sure of is if these work on Macs which I think you use.

Bigdawg

Just Me
These are Windows machines... not even bothering to network the mac in - flash drive works just fine for that.
I'll look for a switch... thanks!

signage

Stacy when looking for a switch make sure it has at least as many connections as you have PC's. I have one hooked up to three computers running windows 95, 98 and XP home. You can check at best buy they are not expensive.

gROUND cHUCK

To help with the error, first you have to turn the main computer on first.
(some times it could take the other computers a minute to scan the main shared folder before you can move anything.)

The file you want to share has to be in a shared folder, weather you place it
in your shared folder or if you change the properties of "any" folder to share it on the network.

I find it easier to drag the file, from the computer with the file, into the shared folder on the computer you want to view it or alter it on.

Also make sure that the firewall ports and antivirus settings are set right.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
as for the Mac...if its running OS X....its a snap to add into the network. If you need to copy files TO it from a windows machine...its trickier. But if youre looking to get files from the PCs to it, its a breeze to do.

geedub

you can map a network drive from a shared folder over your network. just go to my computer then tools then map network drive and find the folder then make it a drive letter. As for running software from one machine but showing it on another, I'm not sure as to how to do it in windows, I know it's done in the cisco os we used at school. I think it requires a microsoft exchange server.

FlambeauMan

I believe there is a program called VNC that allows you to remotly access other workstations. We opperate all our printers, which have there own computers for ripping, from computers in any room and even from home. That's just what I have observed, I wouldn't have the slightest on how to set it all up. And a mac can control a PC and vice versa. Good Luck :thumb:

dzign

I network my dsl and two computers in my two story house without cabling. I have two gadgets that plug into electrical sockets with ethernet cables connecting each computer and the dsl modem. Works great.

PMG

I network my dsl and two computers in my two story house without cabling. I have two gadgets that plug into electrical sockets with ethernet cables connecting each computer and the dsl modem. Works great.
I am all wireless as well on my PCs,i use Microsoft's wireless networking systems!!!!