• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Desktop Build Help

rcook99

I am in the process of putting some specs together for a new desktop that will run 3 monitors along with many different software suites (Corel, CS 5.5, Signlab, Flexi) to name a few. I know some will say buy new or use Signburst but I had such good luck with my last build I would like to give it another shot. I don't do much with wraps maybe some partial but mostly vector based work. Some photoshop and picture work but not much. I am looking at the following components and would appreciate your thoughts on the hardware I have put together.

ASRock X570 Taichi AM4 AMD X570 MOBO
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Vermeer Zen3 3.7ghz
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 128GB DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
WD Blue SSD 500GB SA510
Corsair RMX750 watt Power supply
AMD Radeon Pro WX2100

supu249

Hi,

Go to a less expensive motherboard and spend the money on an M.2 SSD not a SATA SSD. Also choose a different GPU. AMD one only has 2GB ram. Very low. CPU is good. PSU is fine. Would probably be fine with 64GB of RAM as well. What is your budget?

rcook99

Hi,

Go to a less expensive motherboard and spend the money on an M.2 SSD not a SATA SSD. Also choose a different GPU. AMD one only has 2GB ram. Very low. CPU is good. PSU is fine. Would probably be fine with 64GB of RAM as well. What is your budget?
Thanks for your thoughts, was planning on keeping it around $1200-$1500 for the box. I will check out the other drive you mentioned. As far as the graphics card, I rarely deal with any large files like wraps. So not to worried about that. Can always upgrade it down the road.

victor bogdanov

Looks good, only thing I can think of if you want a little more future proof (but will cost more now) is to go with AM5 platform (gives you room to upgrade CPU in a few years) but the DDR5 128gig will be about as much as you are looking to spend total.

The video card is good for the price if you are not looking to play games, the sign software doesn't need much gpu.

I have the same MB and CPU in one of my comps with 64gig ram and an rx570, handled everything

rcook99

Looks good, only thing I can think of if you want a little more future proof (but will cost more now) is to go with AM5 platform (gives you room to upgrade CPU in a few years) but the DDR5 128gig will be about as much as you are looking to spend total.

The video card is good for the price if you are not looking to play games, the sign software doesn't need much gpu.

I have the same MB and CPU in one of my comps with 64gig ram and an rx570, handled everything
No it’s definitely not a gaming computer. Just for sign and embroidery work.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Get a 5800x instead
and get better storage, NVME at least 1tb.
Get a GTX1660 or similar or a RTX3050.

You dont need a workstation GPU.

rcook99

Get a 5800x instead
and get better storage, NVME at least 1tb.
Get a GTX1660 or similar or a RTX3050.

You dont need a workstation GPU.
The 500 SSD is just for the OS and other programs, all other files will be stored on regular drives set up in raid as well as an offline HD backup. What do you recommend for better storage?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
This is what i'd recommend.

Motherboard: B550 Gigabyte vision. (i have this, it's great)
CPU: 5800x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX ddr4 3200 (64gb) 2nd set for 128gb but it's honestly overkill.
SSD: 500gb Crucial P5 & a 1tb 2nd nvme for your working drive. Heaps of options but the P5 is a good all around.
GPU: RTX 3050 or 3060 is where you'd want to be.
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 or D15S (the S has 1 fan which is fine for a 5800x) the 2 fans will give you clearance issues with ram.
Case: corsair or fractal. something with good airflow.
PSU: 850w

That should maybe fit your budget

icedhot

Hi,

are the differences between M.2 SSD and SATA SSD that noticeable? i always like sata SSD.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
are the differences between M.2 SSD and SATA SSD that noticeable? i always like sata SSD.
Both are solid state drives.
It's how they work.
Sata used a protocol designed for HDDs while nvme uses a protocol designed for nvme.

Heaps of articles out there that explain the difference.

victor bogdanov

Sata interface has max bandwidth of 600mb/s while PCIE NVME has bandwidth of 7000mb/s (max speed of the interface, not the drive)

M.2 is not the bandwidth/speed but rather the form of the SSD and m.2 formfactor drives can be sata or pcie nvme interface.

2.5" Sata SSD = good
M.2 Sata = good
m.2 Pcie NVME = best

I did not see much real world difference going from a high end samsung M.2 sata to a high end samsung pcie. Sure its faster on benchmarks but programs and windows take perceivably the same amount of time to open.

I had to switch to pcie nvme because new motherboard did not have any m.2 sata, seems like m.2 sata will be phased out soon. 2.5"+ sata is here to stay for mechanical drives

rcook99

Sata interface has max bandwidth of 600mb/s while PCIE NVME has bandwidth of 7000mb/s (max speed of the interface, not the drive)

M.2 is not the bandwidth/speed but rather the form of the SSD and m.2 formfactor drives can be sata or pcie nvme interface.

2.5" Sata SSD = good
M.2 Sata = good
m.2 Pcie NVME = best

I did not see much real world difference going from a high end samsung M.2 sata to a high end samsung pcie. Sure its faster on benchmarks but programs and windows take perceivably the same amount of time to open.

I had to switch to pcie nvme because new motherboard did not have any m.2 sata, seems like m.2 sata will be phased out soon. 2.5"+ sata is here to stay for mechanical drives
Thanks for the breakdown. Was reading on the nvme drives as it’s been 12 years since I built my last one. It still runs well but was time for an upgrade.