• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New EMC prepping for install

wonsngis

Though this isn't the largest one we've done, it is on the bigger side. This particular one is from a new (to us) manufacturer and, so far, I'm pretty impressed with the hardware. I just wanted to share with the signs101 community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni9hgF57V1o&feature=channel

The job also calls for some channel letters and an LED retrofit on an existing cabinet. I'll post some more pix and maybe another video when its all done.

wonsngis

Yesco. We've done a lot of work with Daktronics and Watchfire prior to this one. The Yesco unit is built like a tank and as bright as the sun! Unfortunately, their shipping time is on the high side and their production staff isn't as customer service oriented as they should be. Again, though, the hardware is top notch.

Sign Prophet

Yesco is a large company in my neck of the woods. I did not know that they are manufacturing message centers now. I know they installed them, but I thought they were installing mostly Dak boards. Interesting

wonsngis

so what made you go with them? let me guess.....cost?

Cost was a factor, yes, but I have a problem with the business models of both Dak and Watchfire. Right now, they'll both sell to everyone in town- so the shop who makes the least money on the job gets the job. Unfortunately, that has resulted in some REALLY POOR installations around here and it reflects poorly on the manufacturer's as their name is generally the one on the front of the sign. Yesco's wholesale business model is closer to a regional distribution type- so not everyone in a given vicinity can get them.

Just look at Yesco's portfolio- I'm confident that they quality is as good, if not better than Watchfire- and certainly better than Daktronics.

What brand of EMC's are others in the Signs101 community using?

Last edited:

daveb

General Know-it-all
We've dealt with Watchfire for 30 years now and never heard of them selling directly to customer. Would be interested in what you've heard or experienced with them. That's the reason we won't sell or install Dak's:banghead:, really been a problem around here with them.

wonsngis

We've dealt with Watchfire for 30 years now and never heard of them selling directly to customer. Would be interested in what you've heard or experienced with them. That's the reason we won't sell or install Dak's:banghead:, really been a problem around here with them.

You're right- Watchfire doesn't sell direct... and that IS the problem with Dak. the problem with watchfire is that in a town with 10 sign shops (for example) Watchfire then has 10 potential distributors. The end user often picks the low bidder, and while they may end up getting 'what they pay for' in terms of the install, the final product still says Watchfire on the front. And the future potential customer who sees that may end up saying 'watchfire is junk' instead of the truth that 'whomever installed that watchfire is an idiot'.

This particular job put us up against another shop who was willing to do the job with a watchfire unit for cost- just to keep busy. That type of bidding hurts us all.

We need an edge at the distribution end so that we can still land the bids, and do the high quality work we're known for, AND be profitable.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Say no more... Totally understand, just had it happen to me over in Missouri.
However, although they can't control the amount of markup Watchfire has been known to pull a dealership if they are selling at cost. They've tightened up on that kind of stuff in the last 4-5 years, if they sell at cost call Mike and let him know (I think he's rep in your area). I was instrumental in getting a dealership pulled a couple of years ago down by St. Louis, they will do it, it's just not good for business (theirs or ours).:cool:

skyhigh

No offense, but it seems you wanted to find a product that will allow you to make a great profit, while keeping at, or under your cost of the WF brand?

I can only share my limited experience when dealing with the "bic lighter" mentality of LED's. The loss time and aggrivation associated with the service end of some of the "less expensive" boards is not worth the initial savings/profits. They can drive you insane.

Not saying "yasco" is inferior, as I'm unfamiliar with their product. Their quality may be as good, or superior to WF. I'm always looking for alternatives, so let me know how you make out 6 months down the road.

skyhigh

Watchfire has been known to pull a dealership if they are selling at cost. They've tightened up on that kind of stuff in the last 4-5 years, if they sell at cost call Mike and let him know (I think he's rep in your area). I was instrumental in getting a dealership pulled a couple of years ago down by St. Louis, they will do it, it's just not good for business (theirs or ours).:cool:

Well there's another plus for WF. My first purchase, they "suggested" what markup I should be at !!! :thumb: Good company to deal with.

wonsngis

Not saying "yasco" is inferior, as I'm unfamiliar with their product. Their quality may be as good, or superior to WF. I'm always looking for alternatives, so let me know how you make out 6 months down the road.

I've generally only got good things to say about Watchfire (and still do). I think we have 30 or 40 sites with Watchfire and they're all doing great. Can't say the same for Dak.

As for Yesco, if you've been to Las Vegas, you're familiar with their product. They're responsible for something like 75% of the signs on the strip (and lots more beyond Vegas, obviously).

Check out the link I posted earlier.