• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Epson 11880 errors after 2' of printing

tcorn1965

I have this printer loaded with 50" clear film. When I print to it and it reaches about the 2' mark, give or take the print head grabs the media from the home position and it crunches it up...printer errors and has to be restarted. Have not been able to get this figured out, hopefully someone can give me some advice.

Steps I have taken thus far:

• I have changed the Platen gap from normal-to wide-than wider-than widest
  • I created a custom paper and did a thickness print test and set
  • I have tried the two different tensions on roll holder
  • I have changed vacuum from standard to -1, than all the way down to -4
  • I have tried it with and without the take up reel.
  • I have measured the thickness of the media with a tool...comes to 1.1 mm, and have manually set that as well.
I would appreciate any advise :signs101:

Terry

jmcnicoll

We have a 11880 and have had issues with one of the medias we use. On this particular media I have a head strike problem if it's not loaded perfect.

Try this! Load the roll and once it loads and is ready for print check the tension of each side of the media just below the roll cover on top of the machine. If the tension on each side is not closely the same reload until it is.

This helped with my head strike issue, maybe it will help you.

Feel free to message me if you want.

Jim

tcorn1965

Thanks Jim, I will give that a try. I have noticed with this media that there is an occasional head strike that I don't get with paper, so this sounds spot on!

Terry

artbot

does this model have media clips at both sides of the platen like the mimaki, etc? if not, you can take a large rectangular razor and some aluminum tape (other tapes even double sided work, but i prefer the aluminum because it sticks well and doesn't stretch like most tape) and create a make shift media clip at the edge of the platen.

tcorn1965

does this model have media clips at both sides of the platen like the mimaki, etc? if not, you can take a large rectangular razor and some aluminum tape (other tapes even double sided work, but i prefer the aluminum because it sticks well and doesn't stretch like most tape) and create a make shift media clip at the edge of the platen.

Thanks artbot! That is is little out of my comfort zone. I was widening the platen gap via the on screen menu. Not sure about the clips (I dont see any). I have also tried the suggestion from the earlier post...no luck.
As of now I have an epson tech coming in.

I will let you know what the problem/fix is.

Terry

tcorn1965

Update

This was a very simple fix after all. The t-fence (encoder strip) was off track.
The tech had it fixed in 2 min :banghead:
I felt pretty stupid!

Terry