• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Epson and rip setup, Onyx (gamaprint) 22 keeps crashing!

meltsner

Hi, we just purchased a new Epson S40, and Onyx Gamaprint 22 was bundled with it; I'm coming from a Mutoh/FlexiPro combo for about 13 years, so I feel like a total newbie again now, lol...
I followed installation instructions best I could (somewhat vague / didn't match up) and the printer IS connected to the computer, is being recognized and communicating in both Epson's Edge Dashboard, and in Onxy's printer setup; however when the RIP/Queue program opens, it is functional for about 15+/- seconds or so, up UNTIL the "configure printer" (see screenies) button comes alive, then the program locks up and/or crashes. In those seconds I can also try to open a file to print, but it doesn't add it to the queue or open it.
I realize I may have missed something important, or bad program....? I uninstalled/reinstalled, and explored everything I could see. Running Win10 Pro, 64bit so should be compatible.
It also pops up Windows UAC warning box on every open, which is odd.
I'll see if I can round up some tech support tomorrow but thought maybe someone else has had the same issue in the meantime.
I'd love to continue using all 10+ previous years of Flexi files for this printer but am not seeing it in SAI's list....which isn't huge and I don't mind learning a new program, but would be nice to stick with a familiar program for now (even though it still sucks as much as ever :D).

Attachments

• screenie2.png
    screenie2.png
    985.7 KB · Views: 492
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 188

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Always hit "Yes" on the UAC warning and set it up to always "run as administrator".
If you have problems it's very usefull to see what the console is saying.
1671436698159.png

S40 is supported by current Flexi version.

Last edited:

meltsner

Always hit "Yes" on the UAC warning and set it up to always "run as administrator".
If you have problems it's very usefull to see what the console is saying.
View attachment 163078

S40 is supported by current Flexi version.
Yes I press “yes” otherwise it doesn’t start, and I have run it both ways as Administrator and “regular”.

This is the console:
—————————
Server is starting...

Warning: This configuration requested 2 rip permissions. There are only 1 available.

*** EPSON SureColor S40600-2: Error - Unable to synchronize media because the information for the media currently selected on the printer could not be retrieved. Please verify the following:

- Both the printer and the Epson Edge Dashboard are online.

- One or more media have been correctly registered on the printer and in the Epson Edge Dashboard.

- Only official Epson media profiles, which have a valid media ID, can be synchronized.

Server is now running...
—————————
I think I created two printers thus the -2 behind it, but it was no different with just one before.
I created a new media on the printer, it shows correctly on Edge dashboard and everything including printer status, but no changes. Still troubleshooting…

Also I’m still way back on Flexi 10.5, so…:biggrin:

meltsner

I deleted the first one, and still same thing, minus the one error now...

Console before Configure Printer comes up...

Server is starting...
Warning: This configuration requested 2 rip permissions. There are only 1 available.
Server is now running...

After Configure Printer comes up (and locks)...

Server is starting...
Server is now running...
Starting RestAPI on port 8000.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    303.8 KB · Views: 172

meltsner

Testing some more, I can actually wait about 30 sec. till it actually "unlocks" and I can click any button only one time (then it locks up again...grays out / spinning icon) but whatver I click actually DOES come up about 30 seconds later, such as the Configure Printer button. It's a whole new set of errors too.
Untitled3.png

balstestrat

Problem Solver
If you keep starting it and it crashes or something happens, the license will take a moment to free up. So don't keep starting it if you get in o that loop. Wait a moment or restart PC.

Or to double check go to general settings and check that it's not set to use 2 rip licenses. Shouldn't be but anyway.

After you get past that license error maybe the rest is something Epson specific, I don't know.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
This one is odd.
Where did you install it?
I had issues when it was in program files, so i installed mine in C drive (where it originally asked me to) and it worked)
I had mongo db errors.
worth a shot.

GC Decor

Super Printer
Call into Onyx, not sure what plan you have it but it can be as simple as antivirus or a bad file. We had a few issues and one was our antivirus blocking one of the files from starting. Other time it was printer errors that locked up Onyx. They fixed both issues quickly and both occurred randomly months after install. Great support team there.
Might want to try a fresh install - you need to remove all folders

meltsner

I actually got it to print a sample piece ! in between the button pushing waiting freezing....
I called our vendor tech support and he took a look and was stumped too and referred me to Onyx support.
In the meantime, I installed it on my previous older machine (same OS), and the RIP seems to work fine there. I didn't have have any issues and I have a better idea how it is supposed to actually look/run, except that the Epson dashboard wouldn't load the printer online now. Lol
I'm going to attempt one more fresh install tomorrow first and if no joy, will call Onyx. Thanks for the help!! I'll try to update this with any [hopefully] solutions or resolutions...

If you keep starting it and it crashes or something happens, the license will take a moment to free up. So don't keep starting it if you get in o that loop. Wait a moment or restart PC.

Or to double check go to general settings and check that it's not set to use 2 rip licenses. Shouldn't be but anyway.

After you get past that license error maybe the rest is something Epson specific, I don't know.
Unfortunately I can't really get to the settings...those are grayed out until the Configure Printer button lights up, at which point it locks.
This one is odd.
Where did you install it?
I had issues when it was in program files, so i installed mine in C drive (where it originally asked me to) and it worked)
I had mongo db errors.
worth a shot.
Yes just the default location, I'm pretty sure it was the C but I'd have to double check.
Call into Onyx, not sure what plan you have it but it can be as simple as antivirus or a bad file. We had a few issues and one was our antivirus blocking one of the files from starting. Other time it was printer errors that locked up Onyx. They fixed both issues quickly and both occurred randomly months after install. Great support team there.
Might want to try a fresh install - you need to remove all folders
Good to hear, and that's the plan right now!

meltsner

Update: SOLVED
I uninstalled and re-installed, following directions step by step best as possible. And, it is up and running great now. For any future reference here, the only things I can think of, is I either 1. may have not installed the hardware key (usb) at the right time, or 2. accidentally installed the Epson dashboard/setup a second time (if that's even possible) through the Onyx install when I wasn't supposed to.....those are the only things I can think of. Thanks again for the replies, looking forward to using it, got a lot to learn lol.