• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Foot Shear

907customs

I ordered a 52" foot shear this week, seemed like the next logical tool to add to the shop. It will be nice to be able to more easily and consistantly cut aluminum, and other varioius materials in house. After I get it, I'll try to post some pics of different cut qualities with different materials. Here's the specs and a pic.

Specifications
Max. Shear Length
52"
Max Material Thickness - Mid Steel *
16 ga. / .060”
Max Material Thickness - Stainless Steel *
20 ga. / .036”
Strokes / Minute
N/A
Front Gauge Length
20"
Back Gauge Length
33"
Shear Angle
1 degree / 40’
Motor
N/A
Power Requirement
Manual
Shipping Dimensions (L/W/H)
66” / 30” / 46”
Shipping Weight
1199 lbs

* Mild Steel T.S. 64,000 PSI
* Stainless Steel T.S. 100,000 PSI

Attachments

• Foot Shear.jpg
    Foot Shear.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Although branded differently, it looks exactly like the one I had for about six years from Harbor Freight. The most difficult aspect of it is it's weight and getting it where we wanted and level was a major job. Once in place it became one of the most used and trouble free tools in our shop.

The materials which were disappointing were thicker materials such as 3 mil PVC foam board and Dibond. The reason is that the blade cuts on a slight angle. So the ticker the material the more that angle becomes a factor. With Dibond, we would end up with a knife sharp edge that would cut you very easily ... so if you're planning on cutting thicker aluminum clad composites, plan on sanding the edge to dull it.

Other than that, you should enjoy it and get great value out of it.

907customs

Thanks for the info Fred, I knew that going into the purchase (from reading older posts). Even if it will only do the thinner materials like aluminum, that's ok, but I'll sure try the Dibond, etc. I thought I'd look into a nice belt/disc sander next for cleaning up any of those sharp edges.

John L

Good choice. We have a belt/disk sander, a tube bender, and a tube roller from Baileigh... all excellent tools. They make very high quality stuff, definitely a giant leap above HF in my opinion.

We also have an OLD 8' stomp shear. If you are tempted to set the shear under a material rack or shelf... be sure to letter a warning notice "Bump Head Here" like we did.

JimJenson

With Dibond, we would end up with a knife sharp edge that would cut you very easily ... so if you're planning on cutting thicker aluminum clad composites, plan on sanding the edge to dull it.

Other than that, you should enjoy it and get great value out of it.

These gizmos work extremely well to knock down the sharp edges in steel and aluminum straight cuts as well as the burr from holes drilled. Not sure about an excessive burr on Dibond, but on typical aluminum sheet they work like a gem.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=7620929&PMT4NO=79807222
A word of caution, they will cut the crap out of you if you slip while using and rake it across skin.

David Wright

These gizmos work extremely well to knock down the sharp edges in steel and aluminum straight cuts as well as the burr from holes drilled. Not sure about an excessive burr on Dibond, but on typical aluminum sheet they work like a gem.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=7620929&PMT4NO=79807222
A word of caution, they will cut the crap out of you if you slip while using and rake it across skin.

Oh, I know! Wear work gloves when doing it. Deburring tools are simple but effective but on dibond can leave an irregular edge on the finished side if used at the wrong angle.

Man I would love to have a foot shear just too much of footprint. Those Fletcher Terry substrate cutters are nice but expensive.

907customs

Thanks for the info guys, I had no Idea that these deburring tools existed, but now I've got one coming:) I've got a Fletcher Terry cutter, but it's just got the mat blade, it works good for Coro, and Sintra, but it doesn't do a great job on aluminum, or Dibond type materials. As for the footprint of the shear, yes...I had to do some cleaning / organizing of the shop to make room for it.

907customs

Well, I got the Shear this week, and am very happy so far! Initial tests were on .050 Aluminum, 3mm Maxmetal (like Dibond), Coroplast, Sintra, and a thicker piece of Aluminum (.120 maybe). All cuts were acceptable with the exception of the sintra, which cracked along the edge of the cut. The aluminum (both thicknesses) were nice and straight, with only a very slight burr. The Maxmetal cuts like butter, and again only a very slight burr, which the new Noga Burr tool easily takes care of. Suprisingly, the Coro didn't crush, but cut nice and smooth in either direction. I took some pics of the substrates cut, but they turned out terrible, not worth posting.

Attachments

• IMG_3407 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_3407 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3408 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_3408 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    42 KB · Views: 150

petrosgraphics

i have had one for years, great, great tool.... it will remind you everyday, why did i not get this a long time ago..... good luck..

Mosh

You will wonder what you did without it. No idea what shops that don't have one do.

Malkin

I go to the shop down the road that lets me use theirs at no charge (about 100" step shear, older than dirt), although I would still rather have one myself.

Dunno bout everybody else though!

Mosh

I use to have alot of people come and use mine. The first year or so I did it with a smile. Then it just got to be a pain in the neck, every time I was in the middle of something someone would come in. So I tell everyone no for insurance reasons (except my good friends of course) Now I keep quiet all the tools I have so not to get the "hey can I use your..." crowd.

Wes Phifer

If you make sure the sintra is warm it will cut ok. Take a heat gun and run down the cut line. If it is hot in the shop you will not need to heat.