• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Here, Doin' Vinyl Since 1998

Yes the cost of automobiles and groceries in my area of the country is by all probability the lowest in the nation. That's all I saying I have to adjust my pricing for the area in which I live. As for loving this business yes I do! and I make more at this than I could working as an engineer. I am not talking about not kerning or doing signs or any other product to the best of our ability, it just seems every time someone posts a design for critique no matter how awesome or how good it is somebody find a nit picking problem. We did some signs for a car lot last week and when we deilvered them the owner said that they looked good but wished we had used a different vehicle, I told him your wife designed and brought this to us with instuctions not to change, he said Sorry it looks great. I 'm not messing with this man's marriage by trying to change a sign. Again my apology Jillbeans I was only stating what you put in your post and now see that it was inapproiate and I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me, You do awesome work and it always looks great. I sometimes wish I could do murals but not much demand but coro everyday. May God Bless all the Signs101 group, sorry if I offended anyone.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Well, I think Wild Indian is saying something different that the original poster.....

I would like to comment on the crit section...

Work is placed in the crit section to be commented on, noone is holding a gun to thier head. To critique basically means "to be critical of" It is supposed to be nit picky. I believe we have one of the best crit sections in the web because we can be nit picky and constructive at the same time and it rarely gets to the point where someone is offended (compared to other forums) I very rarely if ever make comments on the portfolio section unless they ask for a criit because the job is done and there is no sence in being nit picky.....by the way, I torture myself after every job I do at how I could have made it better. The faster you are able to fix bad habits like type placement, alighnments, colors, type problems and poor graphic choices the better off you would be as a sign designer....then you can have the option of doing the bottom feeder work and the nicer work.

On the comments being made, they have already been made these arguments with earlier signmakers who for some reason are no longer here....this thread has shades of Steady and Pruitt all over it....but they are not the only guys who have this attitude, I'm just glad it's not the prevailing attitude on this board.

OldPaint

Sorry if you feel insulted, do not mean to put anyone down. My point is that you live in a repressed area and do what you need to do to make a living so why can't the rest of us who live in poor areas do what we need to do take care of our families without the scarasm of being called cheap, crappy sign makers, poor business people and even trolls with our head in our a$$. I live in one of poorest areas of this nation and there is no way I can charge the prices some mention on this board, the economy of my area could not afford to pay those prices. $28 for 18 x 24 coroplast signs would leave me with a warehouse full of inventory, yet I can get $12 and make a decent profit. I am sorry if I offended you, that is not my nature but instead of assuming you know every thing about me (been in this business 50+ years, and my dad who started all this painted signs and taught me the art when I was only a boy so I do know about painting) I do not turn out crappy work and will not let any employee turn out junk. I have operated this business for 40 years and have made a good living for myself and my family. I sent 4 children through college, 1 to medical school and another to law school, so just because I don't paint Mona Lisa does not make me a crappy sign maker or screenprinter or embroiderer or electrial engineer ( I did go to school Ha Ha) God Bless The USA
skyhigh he didnt say he was AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER...
he said HE WENT TO SCHOOL....
i too live right down the road from ya, good freind has a sign shop in hattisburg, i go to JACKSON MISS VA hospital. lot of places there wint no money...JUST LIKE HERE. but the guy livin in the trailer, fixin the old FARMALL A, so he can sell it AINT THE GUY WHO BUYS SIGNS!!!!
i also have done 18x24' coro single sided for $12.50 2 sided for $25. BUT THAT WAS WHEN GAS WAS $1.09 A GAL.
now its $2.20 a gal.....SOMEBODY GOT COVER MY COST OF BUYIN GAS.....and now my $12.50 is $15...if iam doin double sided and $20 FOR A SINGLE SIDED......
i was in jackson jan 22 and gas there was $1.84 so it aint any cheaper to live there....

beckys

This has to be my competition in new hampshire, cranking out crap, and stealing others art...
Hey Bob, is this you???
We've already had this arguement before..remember??
Is there more of you with this mentality level if it's not you??

This has to be my competition in new hampshire, cranking out crap, and stealing others art...
Hey Bob, is this you???
We've already had this arguement before..remember??
Is there more of you with this mentality level if it's not you??

I've NEVER stolen anyone's art, font, logo, etc. in my life and I am highly offended by your baseless accusation.

HardbargerSigns

I think this may have gone just far enough, is it possible there is a misunderstanding somewhere?

I think we need to draw the line and shake hands, we're all in the same business, we're all here to learn and get inspiration.

Let's not trash one another when we can try to reach a general understanding and further our craft as a whole.

K... I'm done.

HardbargerSigns

I pay $7.92 for a 22"x8' 10 oz blank from Eagle Banners, with free shipping to boot!
150' of 24" Shinerite = $66. So 8'= $3.52 with free shipping too.

In my book, you are over paying for materials.

Of course, by the same token, Shinerite is total CRAP, I'd rather use high performance vinyl, or just digital print one with a design to blow yer socks off (created in about 10 minutes) charge $200.00 for the banner, have it done and picked up within an hour, and take the rest of the day off!

gvgraphics

signedmylifeaway,

I have to agree with OP's last comments. But if your not a low ballin troll looking for a fight then answer the question asked many times. Where are you from so we can understand your pricing for your area. Or is it that you are a low ballin troll hiding behind a keyboard selling at BS prices and trying to say you make a reasonable profit.

Hey I think I saw one of you ads the other day on a coro sign by the road. It said:
Call for local trash
1-800-low-ball
or fax us at
1-800-our-trash

Sign Prophet

Yeah tell us where you are doing business so we can better understand. Everybody here has put the location down freely.

gvgraphics

Let me ask you a serious question: How can you profit on a job selling at such low prices? Now I know as well as anyone prices have to fit you geographic location but you still have costs of running a business. Not saying you should get rich quick from 1 job but it should bring in a reasonable profit. Do you figure in your time for cutting, design and layout, masking and the cost of mask?

I am in the northwest corner of Alabama. I did go to school and even managed to graduate with a degree and surprise even got a masters. My Dad got real sick and I moved back to help him and after he died I stayed because I fell in love with the work and a beautiful lady. The only thing that offends me is to call me cheap crappy trash because I don't charge as much as some others charge. Some of you are great artist and Jillbeans can do more quicker than I will ever be able to do. I am sorry if what I posted hurt anyone, that was not my intention. I have a broad base of customers and the majority of our imcome is derived from high end screen printing. We do signs, banners, embroidery and trophies to supplement the mainstay of our business. I will post some designs if you think my work is still cheap crappy trash let me have. God Bless All to All a good night.

gvgraphics

wildindian my posts have not been toward you at all. They have been against signedmylifeaway who came in here with the guns a blazing and we are all over priced attitude. You slammed Jill for no reason but then apologized so lets leave it at that unless you and Jill have unfinished business, then I am sure there will be some more slams coming your way.

Sean

Since all of you don't need to worry about low ballers like me, I can't understand why you all feel so upset.
If you were restaurateurs, you'd all be running the Four Seasons and I'm running McDonalds. "Real" restaurants wouldn't worry about McDonalds. I can't believe the insults hurled at me. I defy any of you to point out something I said that was profane, offensive or even snobbish. I am a very modest person. I'm very proud of my work, I pay my taxes, and my customers are satisfied. I've reached most of my goals.
If you must know where I am, I am in a small town at the border of NY, NJ and PA. That would be Port Jervis, NY Montague, NJ or Matamoras, PA. I'd like to be more specific, but judging by the hostility some of you have expressed towards me, I will not.

wildindian my posts have not been toward you at all. They have been against signedmylifeaway who came in here with the guns a blazing and we are all over priced attitude. You slammed Jill for no reason but then apologized so lets leave it at that unless you and Jill have unfinished business, then I am sure there will be some more slams coming your way.

Sean

I never said you were overpriced. I'm cheaper. You draw your own conclusions after that.

I think this may have gone just far enough, is it possible there is a misunderstanding somewhere?

I think we need to draw the line and shake hands, we're all in the same business, we're all here to learn and get inspiration.

Let's not trash one another when we can try to reach a general understanding and further our craft as a whole.

K... I'm done.

Than you proceed to do exactly what you said we shouldn't. Why so hostile? What have I done to you? I'm not looking to butt heads, you are and I'm not really sure why.

S

Stan B

Since all of you don't need to worry about low ballers like me, I can't understand why you all feel so upset.
If you were restaurateurs, you'd all be running the Four Seasons and I'm running McDonalds. "Real" restaurants wouldn't worry about McDonalds. I can't believe the insults hurled at me. I defy any of you to point out something I said that was profane, offensive or even snobbish. I am a very modest person. I'm very proud of my work, I pay my taxes, and my customers are satisfied. I've reached most of my goals.
If you must know where I am, I am in a small town at the border of NY, NJ and PA. That would be Port Jervis, NY Montague, NJ or Matamoras, PA. I'd like to be more specific, but judging by the hostility some of you have expressed towards me, I will not.

Man I have nothing against you or what\how you do but your posts smells.... like a scam. You know like famous scam emails from Nigeria