• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Latex 360 Issues

airborneassault

I posted a while back about issues with our encoder strip. I need to go in and update that thread as well but I did use alcohol to clean the encoder as a temporary fix. I had a new encoder on the way otherwise I wouldn't have tried.

Now todays issue. The alcohol fix quit and the machine would run carriage into the left side throwing an error code that looked like a substrate jam. This all made sense as the encoder was blemished. I have the service manual so I went through and changed the encoder. Now with a new encoder I am having the same issue as well as the fact I can't find anywhere in the service menu to perform a scan axis calibration. Does anyone have any idea where I went wrong?

Is it time to bite the bullet and have HP send a tech out?

dypinc

I would think there is a sensor on the carriage that reads the encoder strip. Have you checked the possibility it might have gotten dirt on it?

5.5.1 Scan Axis Calibration

Last edited:

airborneassault

You're right there is an encoder sensor that reads the encoder strip. It was replaced with the encoder strip just to be sure and I've not reinstalled the old one to see if there was any change which there isn't.

dypinc

I am unclear did you do this or not?

NOTE: After installing the NEW Encoder Strip and Encoder Sensor, perform the following Service Calibration:
● “5.5.1 Scan Axis Calibration”.
● Reset the life counter “4.5.4 Encoder Strip cycles”.

From my reading of the service manual this seams to be required.

airborneassault

I did not do this. I cannot find where to access the "5.5.1 Scan Axis Calibration". My service manual shows the same but no explanation on where I would find it in any of the menus.

dypinc

Are you in Diagnostic Mode?

Go to Service Menu > 1 Service Utilities > 1.1 Boot Mode Menu > 1.1.1 Force Diagnostic Start.

Do you have that password as I can't find it right now.

airborneassault

Thank you dypinc. I was able to access the diagnostic mode but here's a laugh...that calibration doesn't exist.

Called HP and after a few transfers got a very friendly tech. He read through the same service manual and confirmed it doesn't exist. From there he had no suggestions though.

Oddly enough I still get a "clean encoder" message. I've tried multiple times to clean it and have a strange occurrence. It prompts me to open the window and clean the majority of the encoder. Then it has you close the window and it moves the carriage to the far left. Probably 1 out of 3 times it won't move the carriage but prompts me to clean inside where the service station is even though the carriage is still parked there.

Now if I ignore all messages I'm able to load and print 30" beautifully but if I load 54" or larger it runs the carriage to the far left about halfway through loading and into the left wall causing a jam error (I will grab the code next time it happens)

dypinc

Interesting? Is there a updated Service Manual for the 300 series printer since it appear that the old 2014 manual is no longer correct.

Anyone else replace the Encoder strip, what calibration would you use or is supposed to do that on normal boot up? Makes you wonder how many other things in the Service Manual are not longer relevant and makes you question if you want to attempt a repair on you own.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Which firmware are you on. I know on the newest 2 firmwares they changed around the menus a bit, Esp on the 5 series.

In the service menu if you chose option 5 on the initial menu, what is option 5 on the next menu?