• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New printer keeps dropping of the network

heyskull

Just in case I have missed something on setting this up
We have a new Mutoh Xpertjet and Mutoh Valuecut plotter plugged into a network hub but not connected to the internet.

When printing the Xpertjet it occasionally hangs whilst printing and I cannot restart it.
When checking the connection and cables everything has been checked and has been replaced at least twice.
When it stops you cannot ping the printer using the command prompt but you can ping the plotter.
Once turned off and on again the printer can be pinged and it all works as normal until it hangs again.

Is their a setting I have missed as I have made sure everything is set so that it doesn't go to sleep on the new pc attached to it?

Thanks
SC

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Maybe you're getting an IP conflict? I know Mutoh likes to use 192.168.1.253 as a default for there machines. Maybe they are both trying to use that IP?

heyskull

The Xpertjet is on 192.16.1.41 & the Valuecut is on 192.168.1.200.

So I am at a loss with this one.

SC

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Are these the only two devices on this mini-network?

Can you try a direct connection using a crossover cable? Take the hub out of the equation?

Also, maybe try a switch or a router, rather than a hub?

Forty One

Change the IP to a range a little further out and also switch it to a static IP.
You can also have some issues with the CAT cables as sometimes they can drop the signal over a large distance.
And yeah, try a direct connection to the computer and bypass the router/hub. if you notice that it's fine from there, then you know its a cable and/or router/hub issue

weyandsign

What makes you think it's a network issue? If the entire mainboard is freezing up mid-print, it won't respond to ping requests. The printer itself may be the problem.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
If you have this connected to your main network, you need to give both devices a static IP in their settings, and designate that in your RIP as well

I imagine having the different IP subnets on the same small network is causing problems. If you have enough ports on your workstation, you can direct connect to each machine via the static IP you give it, just make sure the corresponding network device on your workstation has the same IP subnet

IE-

Printer IP 192.168.0.200, Network interface on workstation IP: 192.168.0.1
Cutter IP: 192.168.1.200, Network interface on workstation IP: 192.168.1.1

AGCharlotte

I think that's a typo above (the .16) and both are on the same 192.168.1.255 subnet. The 'hanging" during print... is the printer locking up or is it dropping off the network losing data and stopping the print? You've mentioned a PC here as well, is that also on the same network? If it's the printer front end, then you're connected to the printer via USB? No conflict on IP from it?

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
I think that's a typo above (the .16) and both are on the same 192.168.1.255 subnet. The 'hanging" during print... is the printer locking up or is it dropping off the network losing data and stopping the print? You've mentioned a PC here as well, is that also on the same network? If it's the printer front end, then you're connected to the printer via USB? No conflict on IP from it?
I think we need a little more information as far as their current setup to properly give any help. I mainly just listed two of our working setups...