• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Printer

MachServTech

I continue to like the latex machine for wrap jobs. The stretchability of the ink without fading is a good plus.
Not waiting to laminate helps with short ship jobs. I also like not having to worry about banding, so I print a lot of IJ180 overnight.

Freese

The only way I can justify thinking about a Mimaki is heavy production. The maintenence of the machine is a turn off for me.

If I had to buy a printer right now, it would be the Epson GS6000. Great looking prints, little maintenence and paired with Onyx10 I would be VERY content.

Letterbox Mike

The only way I can justify thinking about a Mimaki is heavy production. The maintenence of the machine is a turn off for me.

If I had to buy a printer right now, it would be the Epson GS6000. Great looking prints, little maintenence and paired with Onyx10 I would be VERY content.

Stop listening to salespeople! Honest to god our GS6000 and our JV33 run side by side for 10 hours a day 5 days a week, the maintenance is absolutely identical, except the Epson goes through a lot more ink during cleaning cycles (a lot as in 3-4 times as much). Neither requires much effort. We park the head and swab everything once a week, and that's it. Takes 10 minutes per printer. The Mimaki does not require a single thing more or less than the Epson, and any salesperson that tells you the Epson is hands-off, requires zero maintenance or requires far less than other solvent printers is flat out lying.

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
I sold my older jv3 late last year and bought the epson gs6000. I love the maintenance and print quality, but insignia is correct when he talks about babysitting the epson. Problems with feed and takeup are a constant concern. The mimaki was simple but effective. The epson is complex and problematic. Epson sent a tech yesterday to install the new feed mechanism which is now standard on the new epsons. We are hoping that it solves the head strike issues we get. Of course the first thing we printed was inexpensive 5' banner materiel and we got a head strike within the first 3 feet of the print. Oh well....time will tell if it is an improvement.

One of the things we are able to do with the epson though is to print ultra small print for decals. They have turned out very profitable for us with the epson. We are printing those at 1440 dpi and they look great.

We have been able to print on even the cheapest banner materials with good results. How has the HP's been? Are there problems with different materials and the heat?

MachServTech

How has the HP's been? Are there problems with different materials and the heat?

I print a lot of Ultraflex banner and have no problems, I also use Key Banner and a few other Chinese brands. I had bad issue with some no name banner and some window perf. Turns out I had similar buckling problems with the same material on my mimaki.

The heat does leave a slight wave in a couple of materials, but nothing that makes them unusable.

It prints adhesive vinyl like a dream.

Canvas and wallpaper work well.

backlit is very good, better than my solvent printers.

polypropylene is not easy to run.