• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Printer

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What kind of space do you have ?? Do you have the area to house a printer, cutter and laminator, while having a bay to thoroughly clean and prep a vehicle to wrap ??

Asking a question like this is easy, but all the answers are going to sound quite convincing and until you go out into the field and try some.... it's better not to get swayed with what we all prefer, because you're gonna hear how good they all are and how lousy others are. So, you might as well do some homework and find out who can support the equipment you want to buy. How much do you want to spend on ink. Who has reliable techs and who has the best warranty program.

Personally, I like the Roland machines for wrapping, however there are many others that will do quite nicely.

Letterbox Mike

Mimaki JV33 again. Fast, cheap, prints great and it's rock solid reliable. We've got a GS6000 too, prints great as well but it's not a production machine and can be a bottleneck at times...

Custom_Grafx

Like Gino said, they all have their pros and cons - and he's very right in raising the issue of service. Even if it's a good machine, but there's no one to help you with any problems or questions... you're in for a not so pleasant experience.

General rules to keep in mind...

1) knowledge base availability - eg info on signs101, online manuals etc. (stay away from unknown brands).

2) know the limitations of the machine BEFORE you buy. this sounds stupid, but if inexperienced you really need to look at all the small things from print width to media thickness to ink availability/price/longevity, print speed (don't be fooled by high numbers, they are usually based on low res printing which you'll NEVER use for wraps (99% of the time)... compare them at standard and/or high quality printing for real world numbers).

3) cost of maintenance - parts wise they might be similar, but back to the issue of service, if your nearest tech is 4 hours away, it's gonna cost you.

Anyway... best of luck.

MikePro

i would also use the search function. this topic keeps getting beaten to death and there's TONS of printer reviews/comparisons in the Digital Printing forums.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
L25500 affordable, durable, no outgassing, easy maintence also. What ever machine you get quoted on I will beat it for you no problem.

Mosh

Let me guess..you think you are paying too much to have your race car lettered so you is just going to do its by yourself? Right?

Molenbeek

Also make sure you buy from an approved dealer of that manufacturer if you want the best support and knowledge.

MachServTech

Advantage is one of the best in the industry and Matt L. is one of the best technicians around.

Who you buy from is as important as what you buy.

MontereySigns

Latex vs Solvent

Epson GS6000 or HP L25500 depending on your technology preference. Going to need a laminator too.

I just received this document yesterday (see attached) comparing solvent ink printer versus latex ink printer. This may influence your decision- knowledge is power.

-Bud

petesign

Spend all of your money on a good printer, then buy the cheapest POS laminator you can get.. that's what I did... By the time you get done reprinting all of the ruined panels and it takes an additional couple of days to get the job done, you will realized you asked the wrong question.

Best question is...
"What's the best way for me to get into the car wrap business?"

answer.. sub out all of your prints to a supplier until you get so busy you can justify the expense of the printer and laminator, and production equipment you will need, design software, ripping software, etc.

**I'm just trying to help you realize there's a lot more to it than just buying a printer and wrapping cars. I'm not trying to be rude, just hoping you know all of the investments you are going to have to make.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Spend all of your money on a good printer, then buy the cheapest POS laminator you can get.. that's what I did... By the time you get done reprinting all of the ruined panels and it takes an additional couple of days to get the job done, you will realized you asked the wrong question.

Best question is...
"What's the best way for me to get into the car wrap business?"

answer.. sub out all of your prints to a supplier until you get so busy you can justify the expense of the printer and laminator, and production equipment you will need, design software, ripping software, etc.

**I'm just trying to help you realize there's a lot more to it than just buying a printer and wrapping cars. I'm not trying to be rude, just hoping you know all of the investments you are going to have to make.

Don't tell 'em that chit............ :omg:

Where do you think all the used equipment comes from at a good price..........:ROFLMAO:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Also make sure you buy from an approved dealer of that manufacturer if you want the best support and knowledge.

Im not an approved dealer and I can offer better service and knowledge and price then the other guys. But for the most part your statment is true, you gotta be careful where you get your stuff for sure.

signswi

Mimaki JV33 again. Fast, cheap, prints great and it's rock solid reliable. We've got a GS6000 too, prints great as well but it's not a production machine and can be a bottleneck at times...

Even with the color gamut advantage on the Epson? I really like Mimaki as well but I'm a sucker for a larger color gamut, being a designer first a production guy second.

Letterbox Mike

Even with the color gamut advantage on the Epson? I really like Mimaki as well but I'm a sucker for a larger color gamut, being a designer first a production guy second.

The color gamut on the Epson is nice, and it's large. Not as hugely large as they'd make you believe, but oranges are nicer and greens are richer and all around saturation is a touch better than the 4-color JV33. But with proper profiles, the JV33 produces some excellent color, for 99.9% of work the JV33 is every bit as good.

The Epson loses ground very quickly to the Mimaki when it comes to overall build and "heavy-dutiness". They're not in the same league. And I don't know who drastically overengineered the Epson's media infeed and takeup systems but they should be relegated to pumping gas or flipping burgers. They're about the two worst things I've ever seen, which makes the printer much less functional as a production machine. We get by, but it requires some babysitting.