• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New sewing machines/need help

coldcuts

So I recently got a couple sewing machines through recommendations but am having trouble figuring out how to get started with them. Unfortunately the company I bought them from will give me no help in getting started. The machines I have are:

singer 300w
juki LU-563

just looking for help to get started. Once I get rolling I'll be good, thanks in advance!

phototec

Lots of good vids on YouTube....using a sewing machine is not something you can describe with words, it's more hands-on!

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
+1 for YouTube videos, but I've had problems finding ones that address what we sew, specifically Silicone Edge Graphics on Dye Sub. Took TONS of trial and error. I would recommend finding a company that services industrial machines and see if they can offer any training to get you started. I am lucky that the company that we bought ours from also services and were able to come in and train on the basics of the machine. The techniques for what I am doing with SEG was on me though. Good Luck!

So I recently got a couple sewing machines through recommendations but am having trouble figuring out how to get started with them. Unfortunately the company I bought them from will give me no help in getting started. The machines I have are:

singer 300w
juki LU-563

just looking for help to get started. Once I get rolling I'll be good, thanks in advance!

WildWestDesigns

YouTube videos can be a good source of info and good technique, you just have to be careful though. Anyone can upload and not all techniques are valid, so try to vet as much as you can the source of the video.

Not all are like that, I'm not trying to say that they are (even more so since I'm in the process of uploading videos), but some are better then others and some are just out there with Pluto.

The way that I learned (and I started hand sewing and hand embroidery a good bit before I started doing it professionally) was almost exclusively focusing on technique. Didn't have to worry about pulling out my mistakes initially. Then when technique was down good, then I had to rip out my mistakes. Main focus was to keep interested and focused on learning technique, always having to pull out mistakes will frustrate anyone, now as I was a kid that would have been really quick, didn't have much of attention span back then.

Trial and error and just getting on the machine and doing is going to be the only way to learn, but I would make sure that you get a good source to learn from. I was lucky in that regard.