• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New windows update causes problems with fonts

Gaugeco Inc.

Just out of curiosity, this isn't a OS/2 flag with font embeddability is it?
2021-11-10_175329.jpg

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
Bumping this thread again for Fall 2021 on the occasion of Microsoft rolling out Windows 11. While I've heard some decent things about the Windows 11 update I'm wondering what Windows 11 could take away from PC users. In the context of this thread I'm wondering about fonts, specifically OS support for Postscript Type 1 fonts. Will they still work in Windows 11?

Adobe has previously announced they will begin removing support for Postscript Type 1 fonts, first with Photoshop sometime in 2021 and then moving on through the rest of their applications by 2023. For now, Type 1 fonts still work in the current version (22.5) of Photoshop. Perhaps they'll be purged next month when Photoshop v23 rolls out at the Adobe MAX event. Given what Adobe is doing to retire a piece of their own type technology it would seem only obvious to question if other companies (such as Microsoft) will either continue to support Type 1 fonts in their products.

For some people this issue won't make any difference. Postscript Type 1 is really old technology and it's probably mostly "old timers" such as myself who have decent collections of such fonts. And then Microsoft put some limits on what kinds of computers can be updated from Win 10 to 11. Some people will choose to stick with Win 10 as long as they can. Others who want to upgrade will have to get newer PC hardware in order to do so.

I've done a bit of searching about Windows 11, but can't find much relating to its font format support. I don't really feel like test-driving the beta of Win 11 just to find out. One type upgrade Win 11 is getting: a new variable version of the Segoe typeface for better UI flexibility on regular and high DPI displays.
You might find your answer in the new threads that were started about win 11 recently instead of a thread from the 2012 from a fat guy who lives in his parent's basement and quit contributing years ago.