• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie from MI

TC49010

Hello everyone!!
I am new here, I found this group through a search for something!! I have been lurking since I signed up and looking through all the post. I just got a roland sx-15, getting all the supplies needed (I think ) !! I do embroidery and t-shirt printing and such now and wanted to expand. I have used my cutter a few times but now I have more questions!! I looked at the gallery of pictures on here trying to figure out what I can do and cant do with my cutter!
I want to do Banners, decals, window lettering etc but still need to figure out what all I will need. Example: what do you use soapy water for? I have seen it in several post and am clueless!
Thanks for letting me join your group, I look forward to learning alot!

dennis j

Welcome TC, soapy water is used to wet apply vinyl there are brand name products available for wet application such as Rapid Tac.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hi TC and welcome to the forum.

To expand on Dennis's reply ... there are two primary ways to apply vinyl lettering and graphics: wet or dry.

Applying dry simply means the release liner is removed and the vinyl along with the protective transfer paper is squeegeed down. The pressure sensitive adhesive that comes on the vinyl has a greater strength than that which is on the transfer paper. Nearly full adhesion is the immediate effect. The transfer paper is then pulled off and the vinyl stays in place.

With a wet application, a fluid (mostly water) is put in contact with the adhesive after the release liner has been removed. This is usually done by spraying it on the exposed adhesive and the surface being applied to. The effect is to temporarily reduce or eliminate the adhesive properties of both the vinyl's adhesive and that which is on the transfer paper. This allows a smooth, usually bubble and wrinkle free application ... again using a vinyl application squeegee. Depending on temperature, humidity and the type of substrate, the adhesive's bond soon redevelops and the transfer tape is then removed as with the dry application.

Wet application is most useful for applying large graphics in one piece. Dry application is quicker and less messy and preferred for smaller graphics and by many more experienced installers.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Sign Guy

Welcome aboard from Midland. There is a lot of expierence on this site and you will be able to get loads of info.
Bob

neato

Welcome from Spring Lake!

Well, I'm in Iowa now, but I'll be back Michigan, I'll be back!

TC49010

Thanks for the soapy water explanation!!! I have copied and pasted it into my growing stack of notes!! I appreciated all the help!!
TC

TC49010

Wow nice too see several other michiganders!!! I dont feel so alone now!! Did the majority of you start off home based? How long does it take to get past the learning curve? Is there some place that I can look to see items that are generally used and for what? Like the soapy water and clear application transfer tape etc, I feel like I am sooo way in over my head!! :)
TC

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are several sign industry trade journals which are good for both the articles and the ads. I think Sign Business Magazine still has a free subscription offer.

You'll find quite a few good supply resources in our Links section of Signs 101.

I also suggest that you contact the sign supply distributors in your area and request a catalog.

Once you are looking at specific items with descriptions and pictures, you should be able to form more specific questions and get better answers here.

Last edited:

Grady

I went to school for design and have worked in the business for the past seven years..If you have any questions i would be happy to help and the people in here are great...they rock man...