• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie needing Mimaki CJV150-75 Help

DAPHNE WILSON

So in January I purchased a Mimaki CJV 150-75 for my in home business. Before purchasing I inquired about the ink and fumes (my fault for listening to a dumb salesperson) and I was assured all will be well. Well I'm 4 months in and I love the printer/cutter but the smells are horrible. I was considering selling it because it's so new and investing in a different printer with less hazardous chemicals and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions? I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Also, I paid for the machine outright so do you think it's worth it to sell or try to vent the room? I'm just at a loss on what to do. I can't work int he room while it's printing because the eco-solvent ink combined with whatever paper I'm use gives me an instant headache. So I print and leave the room which slows everything down.

Thanks for the advice or suggestions in advance.

Eco sol is eco sol, no matter what printer/ brand of ink you use, the carrier liquid has a certain smell to it, there is very little difference between manufacturers as the base formula is the same (it needs to dissolve the top layer of the PVC)

Latex ink smells differently but never had a chance to sniff a working latex printer. UV ink stinks very badly.

DAPHNE WILSON

Eco sol is eco sol, no matter what printer/ brand of ink you use, the carrier liquid has a certain smell to it, there is very little difference between manufacturers as the base formula is the same (it needs to dissolve the top layer of the PVC)

Latex ink smells differently but never had a chance to sniff a working latex printer. UV ink stinks very badly.
I guess I'm more concerned with if it is hazardous or not because the research I've on on eco solvent is it's less hazardous but the eco isn't really saying it's ecologically friendly.

Eco solvent ink is perfectly eco once it dries, it is not very healthy while it dries (for men especially). When I asked my tech he said he drinks milk every day (probably for the calcium), so you're not crazy having health concerns. Fortunately my printer is in a huge room, but I always make sure it's well ventillated and try not to stay too long in next to it as I feel dizzy after a while as well.

Like Notarealsignguy says you can buy an air filter or make an exhaust system which reduces the fume exposure, but will not eliminate it completely.

FrankW

There is an additional ink available from Mimaki, the ES3-ink. ES3 is a little bit more expensive than the SS21, and you wont get Orange and Light Black for it, but it should not smell as strong as the SS21.

DAPHNE WILSON

Eco solvent ink is perfectly eco once it dries, it is not very healthy while it dries (for men especially). When I asked my tech he said he drinks milk every day (probably for the calcium), so you're not crazy having health concerns. Fortunately my printer is in a huge room, but I always make sure it's well ventillated and try not to stay too long in next to it as I feel dizzy after a while as well.

Like Notarealsignguy says you can buy an air filter or make an exhaust system which reduces the fume exposure, but will not eliminate it completely.
Thank you

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Doesn’t matter what type of printer you get, they all seem to have pretty distinct smells. From the solvents to the latex. Though I’m pretty sure it’s not the actual latex ink that smells, more the vinyl cooking lol