• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie vinyl Skin Question

baklitsigns

Looking to start making vinyl skins for devices, whats the best printer for the job (currently looking at a eco-sol roland soljet, or gerber edge FX) max print size wouldnt reach beyond 14" x14".

Also anyone have any suggestion for semi-adhes. vinyl (3~4mil without lam. def. cast)

baklitsigns

yea I just noticed that. Does the gerber deliver high quality output vs. eco-sol chem thou? (never cared for thermal printers (still slow like the ones from the 80's?))

threeputt

If you're talking about 4 color process, I like the Roland solvent over the Edge thermal. (I have both)

MobileImpact

edge fx is faster than the original edge. The ink jets have more speed, and with the correct software, (rip and design), can be very quick and give great results. I have had an edge for a long time and digital printer (Mutoh) for a few years. The edge seems tocollect a little more dust than it used to. Unless I'm printing white, we really don't need to use it much.

Good Luck-

baklitsigns

Cool, just want to say thanks for the responses so far.

Ok then looks like eco-sol. machine it is, guess only other question i have is is it worth it to use a seperate machine for cutting to save on the wear on the printer or doesnt matter?

Also anyone have any suggestion for cast vinyl ? wanna keep it under 5mil. coated, uncoated ??

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
You might get a better response from these questions on the Printingdigital.net forum. Lots of members use both forums but the printingdigital forum focuses on printing. You can also find someone that will print the decals for you until you can get a good feel for your market. Then you can get a printer that will best fit that market. A printer that works good for one market may not work with another. You may find that you have a market for large banners(for instance) If you settle for a small 30" machine now you will miss the 4' printed banner market. You can lose a lot of money with the wrong printer.

You can find a link to printingdigital.net forum at the bottom of this page.