• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NEWBY QUESTION. Vac Table

datoshway

I just got my first gantry 4x8 CNC. So sorry for the newby question. When routing on the vac table. How do we ensure we don't damage the wood? when doing full cut throughs?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
You will. All cutters need something to cut against which is sacrificial. Learning what depth does the least damage to the spoil board vs gets a great cut is one of the fine tuning items you need to work through.

Even on our Zunds, the blade cutting wears out the belt in time.

Https://www.firesprint.com

marunr

We have 4 routers that cut primarily acrylic, polycarbonate, and PVC. You will replace the spoil board , but you can buy a planing bit to remove the top surface as needed. We use 3/4" mdf and cut about .04 in to the board on each cut and it works well for us. We plane the board off as needed until it's about .20 thick and then replace it.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We have 4 routers that cut primarily acrylic, polycarbonate, and PVC. You will replace the spoil board , but you can buy a planing bit to remove the top surface as needed. We use 3/4" mdf and cut about .04 in to the board on each cut and it works well for us. We plane the board off as needed until it's about .20 thick and then replace it.

Years ago when we ran a Gerber 408, this is how we did it as well. Kinda cool using the router itself to plane the spoilboard flat again. Just makes sense.

FireSprint is a wholesale sign printer to the trade.

SharpCut

We use sacrificial mats to protect the table. Colex t00177 (I think) if you wanna look at it. We get the T00177PRO and just trim to size for our smaller machine. Although currently I'm looking into getting the felt material on a roll.