• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nissan logo - Formed plastic question

Baz

Hi Guys.

I have a customer who's been asking me about the Nissan dealership sign. Basically the look of it. I remember reading an article when they first started appearing and that it was vaccum formed plastic and then sprayed inside with some chrome powder or something along those lines. My customer has a logo that would look nice reproduced to look like the Nissan logo (style and finish).

I am looking at more info on how it is made and want to see if it is feasable to do 1-2 copies. Or if anybody has a more cost effective suggestion, that would be apreciated as well.

Baz

The logo is a circular shape. I would estimate it will be between 4-6 feet in diameter. I also talked to them about high density foam and having it cnc'ed and then finishing it with platinum leaf then illuminating it from behind. I know at night you would only see a shadow glow of the logo but they seemed interested with that look as well.

andy

Get some circles fabricated out of marine grade 316 mirror stainless steel... if your customer wants shiny Chrome then this type of stainless is hard to beat. Have your circles fabricated with a shallow side return and you'll have enough cavity space to stick in the led's or neon to create your halo.

Making a relief mold at that size is not going to be cheap, neither is the forming or chrome plating.

signmeup

I would expect it would run about $5000 per in HDU. Not sure what the chrome effect would add. A vac mold would be pretty picey for just 2 pulls.

artbot

the logos are vacuum metalized. i had a talk with the company that does it way back when developing a new product.

Baz

Thanks guys. I understand forming one or two copies out of plastic would be to expensive for what they want/need. I will pursue the foam with platinum leaf option and also check into the stainless steel as well. My customer is serious about having a "special" look to his sign. They are an old/established commercial construction company and have never had proper signage on their building outside or inside (nothing outside actually!). They just have nice lettered trucks. Now they completely renovated their interior offices and i have just quoted them 11k on interior signage but still need to present some options for exterior signage and of course they want the numbers associated with it!

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

Wes Phifer

If you are going to cnc it vacuum forming over it should not be that expensive. Contact a face former and see if it is feasible. I have seen some pretty cool stuff vacuum formed. The chrome look I am not sure about. They did an article about it in a magazine several years ago but I can not remember where. It seemed pretty simple but the product may be really expensive. I bet some of the face formers would know about that as well.

jwright350

Vaccum metalized I bet too. But you can get chrome paint now. Paint black first,then polish, then spray 3-5 layers of chrome, then clear coat. Its a automotive product. But I believe its waterborne.

artbot

Absolutely if you are vacuum forming. Go with a reverse application of the silver. I also remember reading about a silver nanoink ised in the auto industry that has platelettes that lay down like a mirror but have to be painted on the back side if clear substrates