• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nix Color Sensors

Norman Clifton

At the recent Graphic's Canada Expo I came across a vendor using the Nix Color Sensor to both scan and adjust color values for printing DTF
Anyone using this hardware and associated software for large format printing to help with profiles and color print shades?

CanuckSigns

I had one about 8 years ago, I found it not to work well for large format printing, it didn't work with pantone, you could scan something and match it to a paint or Vinyl colour, but that's it. I ended up returning it.

ikarasu

Get a colour muse for $50.

It'll scan a lab value, then you put that lab value into onyx and it's a pretty close match.

It's not good for profiling your printer... And you need your printer profiled for it to work good. So you still need a proper profiler

But it's good for sales reps to scan colors while being mobile.

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
I had one about 8 years ago, I found it not to work well for large format printing, it didn't work with pantone, you could scan something and match it to a paint or Vinyl colour, but that's it. I ended up returning it.
You may want to re-explore the nix:

You may notice that they support pantone matching based on the feature chart. The color libraries are a feature based on annual or monthly license charges.

The Nix products are not suitable for color profiling- you need to look into products from Barbieri, Konica Minolta, Xrite, and/or Calibrite.

Used Xrite devices and/or software are available from many places at reasonable prices.

stickerhed

At the recent Graphic's Canada Expo I came across a vendor using the Nix Color Sensor to both scan and adjust color values for printing DTF
Anyone using this hardware and associated software for large format printing to help with profiles and color print shades?
I have a NIX Pro and love it. I print colors, read them with the NIX, then adjust to match. It gives you CMYK, RGB, LAB and others to adjust.