• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No free fonts?

JoySigns

I could use a few clarifications Fred. Are you saying that all free font sites are bad? How do you know if a font is a clone? I have recently stumbled upon some very fun/wacky fonts that certainly don't appear to be copies of anything traditional and don't even appear to be of high quality. But they do seem to fill a certain little hole left empty by the world of proper typography. Still, I can walk away from them if need be.

THATgirl

I have gotten several really cool free fonts from the free fonts sites. Haven't looked there for some time now tho as I seem to have too many fonts!!!! (sheesh never thought I would say THAT)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Joy, I'm not saying all free font sites are stocked with nothing but clones .... but I think I'd be safe in saying that most ... not all fonts found on the free sites are clones or derived work that started out as someone's commercial font.

In fairness, there are certainly a large number of Fontographer and FontLab owners out there that have added in their own original fonts. Also, in fairness, I would point out that the US courts set the rules on this making it legal to create and distribute clones. So if you see a font you like, you're legal in using it.

Ethically, my line gets drawn at the point that I see that a font is a dead on match for a copyrighted font.

In the recent thread that involved the Duchess / Bellevue font, I would not personally download and use Duchess. I would purchase and charge the client for Bellevue. But that's a personal decision. The client specified Duchess and it is legal to download that font and use it.

My comments about clones=stolen were emotionally based and should be read as such. I not only lost out on my investment in becoming a type dealer but I also watched as lots of people I knew and many whom I called friend lost their livelihoods, their businesses or their jobs as a result of cloning. That doesn't necessarily mean that anyone should ignore what has become widespread normal behavior or put themselves at a competitive disadvantage by adding in the costs of font acquisition when free equivilent versions are available.

SteadyBenny

I've got a CD with 3003 Softkey fonts. More fonts than I know what to do with... cost me $5 at a flea market. I know it is a clone others work by some company called SSI. You'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands. I've purchased programs like print artist, art explosion and others just for the fonts. Most of the Print Artist fonts were legit Agfa fonts.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
SteadyBenny said:
I've got a CD with 3003 Softkey fonts. More fonts than I know what to do with... cost me $5 at a flea market. I know it is a clone others work by some company called SSI. You'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands. I've purchased programs like print artist, art explosion and others just for the fonts. Most of the Print Artist fonts were legit Agfa fonts.

Most of Southern Software's library (SSI) which was also known as Softfonts and Keyfonts Pro was the Adobe library on the day SSI stole it and renamed the fonts. He then, licensed it to The Learing Company for a royalty. You may find this article enlightening.

Judge Issues Ruling on Font Copyright