• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No W-Pass on VS-640?

Custom_Grafx

I recently upgraded from an SP-300V to a VS-640 with dual CMYK.

I have been busy creating profiles the last couple of weeks and suffering using canned profiles in the meantime... hopefully this weekend will get it all done!

There is something I've notice... which I'm not too happy about... it looks like there is no more W-pass as an option in print quality. I only have CMYK and CMYK(v).

When I was running the SP-300V, I would use W-pass for high quality jobs as it would give a noticeable improvement especially on solid colours.

Am I missing something?

Thanking you in advance,
John

toli13

Are you working with VersaWorks? If so, there are, afaik, differences between the types of printer. The W-Pass indicates Roland Intelligent Pass Control. To gain this for your printer, you should select a media preset with +PASS or +PASSv2. That should be about the same. But, It's only an idea, as I have no VS-640.
Tilo

Custom_Grafx

That's what I thought so tried all of that, but nothing.

I've looked into every profile and profile template, and looked at the hidden modes too... no w-pass.

Am using versaworks.

Custom_Grafx

The only thing I can think of, is that it's disabled for this configuration (CCMMYYKK) because it has 2 channels of the same colour anyway? What do you think? Is it a possibility?

toli13

Hmm ... this "Intelligent Pass" means, that the passes overlap a little to prevent banding. That should work, no matter if CCMMYYKK or CMYKLcLm.
Usual I start with "Generic Vinyl II" to create an individual profile for vinyl. This setting has for all resolutions +PASS. "Generic Vinyl" doesn't have the +PASS and produces banding. Btw, I have a Soljet Pro III.
Do you have an actual Versaworks? I remember, that I had similar problems with an older VW (any 3.xx version). There I never used these generic profiles because they produced heavy banding for me.

Custom_Grafx

Hi again,

Thanks for the info.

I've got VW 4.1.1 and have d/l all the profiles and updates and double checked.

I remembered I have a laptop which is still configured for the SP300V and all the W-Pass stuff is still there... very strange...

Is there anyone out there with a double CMYK VS640 who can tell me if they have any w-pass profiles in their VersaWorks?

Sacha

Hi Custom Grafx
I just joined and read your post, I assume you have found the new VS profiles in RVW 4.21 This in combination with FW 2.7 will improve your print quality and reduce grain.
As for W-pass, it has nothing to do with RIPC, It is different arrangement of dots with a ruduced feed speed resulting in better solid colours.
Another point to bear in mind is that the VS in 4 colour mode prints dramatically faster than your SP-300V did and as a result you could run into problems relating to the speed at which you are printing.
Hope this helps

InkjetAuction

W-Pass and other VS thoughts...

Some thoughts about print modes...

+PASS means the mode uses Intelligent Pass Control

The "W" designation means a special mode that lays down the same amount of ink in double the passes-- producing much smoother solids. Because W+Pass doubles the passes, it's also half the print speed. W designation is available for use in all of the machines that use the Epson DX4 print head (SC, SP, VP, XC, XJ).

(v) means variable droplet. The Epson DX4 printhead can create three different size droplets-- small, medium, and large.

The DX5 printhead (used in the VS) has seven different droplet sizes... and can produce droplets smaller and larger than that of the DX4 printheads. Because of this, the VS can produce very smooth, non-grainy solids without the need to go into a slow W+Pass mode.

Also, if you are operating a VS machine, but sure to upgrade your firmware to v2.7 and upgrade your VersaWorks to v4.2.1. You will get improved printing in solids, and it won't ask you to shake cartridges as often.

~E

Custom_Grafx

Hi and thanks for the follow ups.

I had reached some positive findings at the bottom of this thread which I also started...
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76686&page=2

It was to address my ink pooling on the VS which I have found solutions to. Mainly the problem is with white glossy vinyl. It has its speed limits unfortunately, but that's just the way it is with this material. The machine can print fast, but the media has its limits with how much ink it can handle in a certain space of time.

I upgraded to 2.7 and the new VW as soon as it came out.

This is another important reason to always load and check the OnSupport program that comes with VS - it tells you as soon as there are firmware updates too.

Thanks again.

DRamm76

Some thoughts about print modes...

+PASS means the mode uses Intelligent Pass Control

The "W" designation means a special mode that lays down the same amount of ink in double the passes-- producing much smoother solids. Because W+Pass doubles the passes, it's also half the print speed. W designation is available for use in all of the machines that use the Epson DX4 print head (SC, SP, VP, XC, XJ).

(v) means variable droplet. The Epson DX4 printhead can create three different size droplets-- small, medium, and large.

The DX5 printhead (used in the VS) has seven different droplet sizes... and can produce droplets smaller and larger than that of the DX4 printheads. Because of this, the VS can produce very smooth, non-grainy solids without the need to go into a slow W+Pass mode.

Also, if you are operating a VS machine, but sure to upgrade your firmware to v2.7 and upgrade your VersaWorks to v4.2.1. You will get improved printing in solids, and it won't ask you to shake cartridges as often.

~E

What if you enjoy shaking the cartridges..I can shake my cartridges all I want!