• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Non Scratch Media for Popups

Rising

Morning all.

We runa mimaki jv33.. with Rasterlink RIP Great! Most jobs run very well and we are happy. Recently we have done a few pop up banners using a supposedly non scratch (no laminate needed) media, but alas it does scratch and mark.

Our supplier asked us which profile we used, it was just a banner type one. Is it possible if we do NOT use the very profile specified, (if we had it) that the ink, after good drying time, would scratch? The print quality itself is perfect just that it does still scratch.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

steve

sjm

I think you are referring to a roll-up? My recommendation is to laminate because you don't know how the end user will treat it.

It may cost a little more but it will save you the trouble in the long run.

Rising

SJM

Thanks for the reply.

No I actually do mean Pop Up. We also have a supposedly non scratch media for Banner roll ups too. I know what you are saying, but if the supplier is selling the media as non scratch, then surely it is that? We are using full solvent inks btw.

Steve

WB

I don't think there is such a thing as non scratch for a solvent printer.. Only think you can do is make sure that the print is good and dry before the client gets their hands on it.. If Scratching is an issue Laminating is the only way.

Rising

Guys
Thanks for the reply's, I think you are missing the point of my question, or I am not explaining clearly.

We have a laminator, we use it every day, its good!

My question is this. Can using an incorrect profile affect the the end result on ink curing properly to a media, forget the quality of the print for now.
So if using a profile not actually made for the media we print on, can the pre heater and post heat, effect the outcome?

Hope this is clearer?

wildside

yes, the wrong profile and media combo will effect the final print in some way or another, no matter how minimal

even using the right profile, media, ink combo, scratching is still going to be a possibility without laminate

sfr table hockey

My question is this. Can using an incorrect profile affect the the end result on ink curing properly to a media, forget the quality of the print for now.
So if using a profile not actually made for the media we print on, can the pre heater and post heat, effect the outcome?

Hope this is clearer?

I have done my own test (printing from a converted CJ 500) where I printed on a media with no heat and then with the standard heat. Both looked fine but the one printed without heat did scratch. The one with heat resisted the scratching much better.

If the profile adjusts the heat settings then I think it might.

Letterbox Mike

Yes, your profile will definitely affect the durability, as sfr table pointed out, the amount of heat will affect how much the ink "soaks in" and bonds to the media, which will of course affect the scratch resistance. Not an enormous amount though, some media is just prone to scratching more than others. Sihl POSpro scratches like a S.O.B. no matter how high you run the heat or post dryer. Fellers PopUP material is almost impossible to scratch once it's cured.

sjm

SJM

Thanks for the reply.

No I actually do mean Pop Up. We also have a supposedly non scratch media for Banner roll ups too. I know what you are saying, but if the supplier is selling the media as non scratch, then surely it is that? We are using full solvent inks btw.

Steve

We use a 10mil pop-up film on our solvent printer and on our aqueous printer. For the end panels we laminate with a 10 mil Textured Lexan Laminate and for the wider panels (3 or 4) depending on the configuration of pop-up system a 15mil Textured Lexan Laminate.

Steve if you supplier is telling you it's scratch proof find a new supplier quickly because he is not in tune with the needs of Display/Exhibit industry. Just rolling the panels and placing them in the display case with magnet strips and stiffeners attached could easily scratch the panels.

The two component panel system I described above works and is bullet proof. Previously we were using a 3 component system 4mil White Film, 10 or 15 mil backer and a 5 mil Textured Lexan Laminate.

bendeane

I use a LexJet SR 12mil Blockout for retractables. It is "scratch resistant" and I don't laminate it. I made a profile for it by testing it with other profiles (Feller's POPUP profile tweaked just a bit on the heat) and have not had one scratch yet in a stand. I treated my tests pretty rough and they haven't scratched (although I know scratching is possible). The profile I used wasn't created specifically for this material, just ran some tests until I got the results I liked. The material is pretty rigid and even with a "jerry-rigged" profile, it works well.

Rooster

The two component panel system I described above works and is bullet proof. Previously we were using a 3 component system 4mil White Film, 10 or 15 mil backer and a 5 mil Textured Lexan Laminate.

I've used the same two part system and while not bullet proof it's certainly able to resist scratching no problem at all. It's the kinking you still need to be wary of.

I use pos pro 200 for the end panels and the 300 for the center panels with the same 15 mil textured lexan laminate. Works like a charm.

Use more heat when you're printing to give the inks a better bite into the media. Although full solvents shouldn't require that much heat like say an eco-solvent would. In the end though the only way to really protect the finish is with a laminate. These displays can get treated pretty damn rough.