• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Noob with recently purchased PC-60 wants to get in the sign making business...

arcman

Naw... Just kiddin'. But I did get a PC-60 for $50.

I'd like to make some water-slide decals for a guitar headstock.

Has anyone here created this type of decal with this machine? If so, can you recommend a suitable product? A letter size sheet would be fine.

Also, what about a spray-on overcoat after the decal is applied? Can the ink handle lacquer or polyurethane?

Lastly, are the Roland metallic carts just that? Metallic? Or more on the 'mirror/chrome' side?

Thanks for your time.

Lee

Pat Whatley

Interesting. I've got a really good friend who makes award winning amps and guitars. He actually uses the water slide sheets they sell for Testors models, prints his headstock logo on them (which has an outline of his logo) on a Deskjet printer, backfills them with a paint pen then applies them. Couple of coats of clear over the top, polish them out and they'll be there forever.

http://www.smithcustomamps.com/html/guitars.html

Attachments

• hs1.jpg
    hs1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 75

arcman

Pat:

I'd rather take the easy (and more consistent) way out, if it's workable with the PC-60.

A few years ago I built up a Telecaster and bought a decal from a guy on Ebay. It was done similar to how your friend does it. Honestly, his was awful and I never used it.

Testors, eh? I'll look into it.

Thanks.

Lee

Pat Whatley

The problem is (well the first problem is that it's a PC-60, are you sure the print head is any good?) that I don't know if you're going to be able to print on the waterslide decal material. If you can, however, you can clear right over it without harming the resin ink. The chrome ribbon actually lays down like a mirror chrome, there are also metallic silvers and golds which have that typical "spray paint chrome" look to them.

With any of them I'd clear over them. You won't need a lot, just enough to hold the edges of the waterslide material down.

woolly

never tried water slide but you can use a cast clear or white and use the cutting to cut to shape. really is the best tool for the job and if your art work is up to it i don't think you will make better.
if using any clear over spray then only use the resin ribbons.

woolly

Jim Hill

Water Transfer decals

I have been making water transfer style decals for about 8 years now and the best way to make them is with an ALPs MD-5000 printer.

The paper you need comes from Tango Papa and believe me after trying many different types of paper these are the only people I buy from.

Finding an ALPs printer that prints without banding might be a problem.

Over the years I have purchased ALPs printers from around the world and since they are no longer made it's hard to find a good used printer and even getting parts is a problem. I own 5 of them now and would not consider selling them.

This printer prints white which is something that most printers cannot do and the other great thing is the inks are shot on has a gas so they are water proof.

I also put a top coat of Future floor wax on them which really brings out the colors.

Good Luck making the decals and I should tell you that the learning curve takes time to get them right.

Jim Hill

arcman

Thanks guys for all the info.

It powers up but I haven't purchased carts for it yet. I did get some white vinyl so I should at least see if it cuts. I'm about to order a black and gold metallic cart.

Once I get the carts and give it a try, I'll reply back with results. Who do you recommend for the carts? Beacon Graphics?

If you think that $50 for a PC-60 was a good deal, I managed to get an Epson 9800 for $100 in that package!

Thanks again.

Lee

Last edited:

andy

Seeing as a PC 60 is just an ALPS printer stretched and stuck on a stand I think you should be able to produce the water slide thingamajigs you need.

astro8

I have been making water transfer style decals for about 8 years now and the best way to make them is with an ALPs MD-5000 printer.

The paper you need comes from Tango Papa and believe me after trying many different types of paper these are the only people I buy from.

Finding an ALPs printer that prints without banding might be a problem.

Over the years I have purchased ALPs printers from around the world and since they are no longer made it's hard to find a good used printer and even getting parts is a problem. I own 5 of them now and would not consider selling them.

This printer prints white which is something that most printers cannot do and the other great thing is the inks are shot on has a gas so they are water proof.

I also put a top coat of Future floor wax on them which really brings out the colors.

Good Luck making the decals and I should tell you that the learning curve takes time to get them right.

Jim Hill

This is the kind of information that takes years to aquire.

I appreciate you sharing.:thumb:

arcman

I've been reading more about this machine and it looks like it's possible to easily damage the printing head with contamination. This machine has been unused for at least a year so a good cleaning might be in order.

Can I clean the head with swabs and alcohol or is the Roland cleaning pen a must? Should I replace the 'cleaning pad'?

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Lee

Jackpine

Can I clean the head with swabs and alcohol or is the Roland cleaning pen a must? Should I replace the 'cleaning pad'?

Yes, if the swabs are not shedding. The print head edge you clean is sharp. I used a Roland cleaning tool and just dipped it into 91% denatured alcohol. The tips of the pen is a hard felt. Can you still get cleaning pads? If so, yes. You can clean the pad with the pen and alcohol. Cleaning of the head should be done after EACH print job while the print head is hot. You don't want specks of resin to "harden" on the head.

arcman

Someone mentioned the PC-60 requires at least four carts installed to work properly. I can't seem to find that info in the users manual.

Anyone know if this is correct?

Lee