• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not printing after ink expired

Mike001

Hi folks,

I was away for a few days and failed to notice that the two black inks (SS21) had expired. JV150 said unable to print... fair enough.
I replace the inks but nothing prints at all.
Numerous cleaning cycles didn't help.

It seems odd that expired inks would stop the self cleaning function? I'm guessing it has screwed up the heads? or is there a "reset" function I don't know about?
Any help greatly appreciated as I can't really afford the many thousands of $'s for new head.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Smoke_Jaguar

The expiration warning tends to be a warning for a month before expiration before refusing to print. Easiest bet is to swap the cartridge or chip and go from there. While the expiration flag may be set for the ink, it doesn't automatically turn into liquid death at the stroke of midnight. Could be a coincidence or a result of the lapse in maintenance. If you have no ink coming out, check your capping station to see if the gap is correct and if the lines are clear. If you're printing literally nothing, as in not a single line on a nozzle check, might have a head that was exposed to air for a while and the ink dried. Might want to do a head soak as well.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I agree with Smoke. Your cap top might be on the older side and not seal as well as it should. The machine not cleaning for a while just exposed it. The head should recover fairly easy though.

Mike001

"The expiration warning tends to be a warning for a month before expiration before refusing to print"

Yep... but unfortunately it failed to register in my mind that it was both cartridges that had expired.
Guess I was too busy focused on going away.

Have tried all sorts of cleaning options.
Now will try a nozzle wash again but once over the cap station I'll turn the printer off by the main switch for quite a number of hours and see what happens.

netsol

do a head soak.
clamp off lines and let it go at least 4-6 hours

take the line off the bottom of the captop and use a syringe to pull ink through

IF IT WERE MINE. (AT YOUR OWN RISK) I would saturate the captop with a bit of isoproplyl, suck ink through with the syringe

IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, i would take a couple ounces of flush and add AN EYE DROPPER full of acetone, then wet the cap top with this solution. let it sit for an hour, WITH THE HEAD IN RESTING POSITION, saturate the captop with enough flush (no acetone) so we don't damage anything including a pump

do a cleaning and then test print again