• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not so much web but QR related

Sign_Boy

Has anyone here designed anything for a Smart Phone (graphic not app)?
I'm running into an issue and can't figure it out.

I'm trying to get an image to fit the phone's screen without the need to scroll.
I did accomplish this (image size 320x460), but when the QR Code is scanned the QR Reader's interface takes up a portion at the top and bottom of the screen.
I'm thinking it may just be my reader but I'm not sure.

Has anyone attempted to design anything like this, if so do you have any pointers? I was thinking of taking a screen shot of my phone and designing it to fit the open real-estate, but I'm not even sure that would work.

Or do you think there are too many variables (type of phone, the OS on the phone and type of QR reader) and trying to accomplish this would be like I'm trying to climb Mt Everest in flip-flops

Thanks for any info you can provide.

:supersmilie:

Locals Find!

I do graphics for mobile phones a lot. You need to adjust your image size to be 72 dpi and no more than 250 pixels wide maximum.

This will work best on smartphones, for older "dumb" phones 125 pixels wide works better.

Edit: Just to make sure I am clear have the image resize proportionately.

Sign_Boy

I do graphics for mobile phones a lot. You need to adjust your image size to be 72 dpi and no more than 250 pixels wide maximum.

This will work best on smartphones, for older "dumb" phones 125 pixels wide works better.

Edit: Just to make sure I am clear have the image resize proportionately.

The image is set at 72.
The width isn't the issue, I'm concerned about the height.

Thanks

Locals Find!

Now height will vary phone to phone. Also, a factor to consider in height is if the phone is being turned sideways to view the page.

On my droid I turn mine all the time to make some sites wide and others I view regularly narrow width.

So, height is a variable your going that you really can't predict. Unless you know every single device that is going to be viewing your site. Which, is near impossible.

Adjust your viewing settings of the page to 50% that way the page will adjust based on the screen size. That is the best you can do as far as I know.

But, as I type this I guarantee someone has a better way or found a better way.

Sign_Boy

Now height will vary phone to phone. Also, a factor to consider in height is if the phone is being turned sideways to view the page.

On my droid I turn mine all the time to make some sites wide and others I view regularly narrow width.

So, height is a variable your going that you really can't predict. Unless you know every single device that is going to be viewing your site. Which, is near impossible.

Adjust your viewing settings of the page to 50% that way the page will adjust based on the screen size. That is the best you can do as far as I know.

But, as I type this I guarantee someone has a better way or found a better way.

I agree when it comes to viewing a webpage, but this is a solo image that re-sizes to fit the screen when you flip the phone (it does make it small).
My major issue is the QR interface is getting in the way.
See attached image.
I'm starting to think it's my reader because I have an option to view in safari but even there I have to scroll.

Attachments

• QR_Image.jpg
    QR_Image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 113

qmr55

Where is this going? Can you use javascript?

You can use something like this...

<script type="text/javascript">
if(screen.width < 600){
}
</script>

There are many different ways to use this...see if any of them can help you

Locals Find!

I agree when it comes to viewing a webpage, but this is a solo image that re-sizes to fit the screen when you flip the phone (it does make it small).
My major issue is the QR interface is getting in the way.
See attached image.
I'm starting to think it's my reader because I have an option to view in safari but even there I have to scroll.

Try adjusting your default zoom level in the phone. It might be zooming in too much for your tastes. I adjusted mine and I see things a bit better now.

Sign_Boy

Where is this going? Can you use javascript?

You can use something like this...

<script type="text/javascript">
if(screen.width < 600){
}
</script>

There are many different ways to use this...see if any of them can help you

That may be worth a try.
I may just have to try to figure out the size of the space inside the readers interface.
But then again there are so many readers out there.:banghead:

Sign_Boy

Try adjusting your default zoom level in the phone. It might be zooming in too much for your tastes. I adjusted mine and I see things a bit better now.

I would think the average smart phone user isn't messing with any of those settings. Heck I don't even know where to find that setting :ROFLMAO:

I'm probably just trying to do the impossible at this moment in time.
Like I said way too many variables to compete with.

Locals Find!

On my droid I just clicked menu when I was in my browser and found a listing for settings and it was right their. Wasn't complicated at all.

Its gotta be even easier on an Iphone.

Sign_Boy

On my droid I just clicked menu when I was in my browser and found a listing for settings and it was right their. Wasn't complicated at all.

Its gotta be even easier on an Iphone.

My reader isn't opening the image in the browser right away.
I have to click an option to do that.

I'm trying to get this to work without having the user have to click anything.