• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Nozzle test pattern analysis (pics included)

Boooooo

Hi guys
kindly looking for expert feedback about this nozzle test patterns I was given to demonstrate printhead is broken*.

One stripe should show a working good printhead the other (with big "holes") the faulty one. They assure never worked good but I suspect test are from SAME printhead was working then stopped soon since they are using cheap and not original inks....

Also curious to understand if that holes in the pattern can be easily created (cheating, to make appear a false test pattern)

First test pattern pics

f50ba45ac8904114afa8debc5089207b

6de7b0735d854c51a685a312fb97a347

d5b4cd8446f747a89b2d734903088b0e

958e3a8e147846999644eac8c37ae84b

Second test patter pic

Of course here both stripes are from faulty printhead

c01e6e524b9444b79668102dad72256e

*I have helped a "friend" to buy this expensive printhead and now I was asked to go back to the seller asking a refund, but since the buyer
  1. not accepting a replace "the seller would send again this kind of not working, supposed refurbished, print head"
  2. resisted (making creative excuses) to take off the printhead from the printer (yes wanted me ask seller refund without ship back to china....)
Have started to suspect....

Printhead is DX6 model, suitable for Epson Stylus Pro 7700 9700 7890 9890 7900 7910 9900

Chrxs

Hi Boooooo, have you already tried flushing the printhead? It looks to me as if yellow is temporarily blocked. I would first rinse the yellow print head 2-3 times manually and test again whether it worked. With hp printers you can also fill or empty the printhead with color in the menu; this flushes possible blockages from the pipe.

kind regards

Boooooo

thanks very interesting...."unfortunately" I will not have the possibility to put hands on the printer but only arguing if that user want to deceive me/seller (if that kind of output can be easily reproduced and seems yes....) Hope to find a suitable printer for give a try by myself

Except for the completely missing "channels", sound to you a pretty good print head? (Consider are "industrial" printing machines printing days and night...)
Bad printhead would shows "only" interrupted lines?

With hp printers you can also fill or empty the printhead with color in the menu; this flushes possible blockages from the pipe.

if cyan and magenta would have been "disable" "temporarily blocked" "finished" (sorry but I do not see why you talking about missing yellow :confused:) should not have been printed at all while I see some channel, am I wrong? Thanks
Regards

Boooooo

thinking back at how they were acting I am now 99% sure they put on a fake check pattern plus
  1. have received from a very expert person a feedback "entirely missing channels are not normally the print head, but ink delivery to the print head (so pumps, dampers, lines etc)."
  2. There is not much "literature" around about the problem
  3. sound suspicious the printhead company (reputable one) have sent a so bad printhead, I can understand a working one that do not last much but this seems completely untested and delivered

Now kindly want to understand how this can this be created. I suspect some physically disconnected lines (I do not believe there is something in the control panel, software side I mean, to exclude channel, correct?) but thing still can't understand is why magenta and cyan partially present, I mean how to disconnect lines only partially :confused: .
If I remember well the operator while dismounting the printhead had removed one sticker from the printhead (and was not the serial code one) but maybe was one used to connect lines in general

MikePro

you'll never get a seller to replace defective printhead. they aren't exactly in the business of trying to pass off defective printheads as new, and if their response is seemingly questionable its because they're trying to find a nice way to explain to you how you may have ruined your own printhead trying to install it yourself, without putting themselves on the hook for poor customer service or liability of telling you what to do that may come back to bite them.

from start-to-finish of installing your own printhead, there are many "landmines" when it comes to steps that are crucial to be done correctly or risk ruining your printhead or your printer's electrical/communication. printheads usually ship with a fluid in them that requires proper flushing as you prime it with ink. the electrical connection & ribbon cables also have a tendancy to suck-in any droplets of ink that may land close, and communications between printer/head will become blocked or jumbled. printheads are also very fragile, and connecting dampers to them may also crack the plastic part that fits the two together, introducing air into your system and inhibiting flow of ink. The list goes on, and its easier to assume someone is trying to rip you off with a bad printhead....rather than realize, and diagnose the where/why/how, your install may be the culprit.

In lieu of the above potentials, the issue could be as simple as the capping station not making proper connection with the printhead, to flush/prime/refreshduringcycle, as well. Too many issues to diagnose in a singular thread post/rant without putting hands on the machine.

Might be worth getting a proper tech, at least on video chat, to walk you through the proper steps to a resolution. Or simply start diagnosing yourself by looking up "data swap" on these forums for some of the old mimaki/epson printhead threads where we've hashed out lines of diagnosis in the past, where you can swap ribbon cables amongst the heads and track-down if the issue is above or below the printhead to get you started. They were based on dx4 heads, but the same theories would apply.

Last edited:

Boooooo

thanks very much for your complete answer and time!
"Unfortunately" the seller is a Chinese new company that rather start collecting negative feedbacks very likely will prefer to agree a refund deal...since are selling refurbished ones (at half prices) they will not mind so much...
They already told me are even not able to identify the one have sent so likely will not want any shipped back, so at this point they deserve we ask a refund...nevermind if I will stay doubtful about who is lying, also I will end up give back the item to the user obtained a refund too