• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oce Colorado just installed

CL Visual

Just got one installed last week. I know there have been some threads on it so if anyone has questions, I'd be happy to try to answer or run some prints.

My intention is to use this to print wall wraps on IJ180 and a lot of Window Perf on it.

So far, I've learned you can't really print decals on it because the material gets so brittle that its impossible to weed after its cut. All the matrix just breaks apart and it takes forever.

Bly

Haha wow. Great some honest feedback from an actual user.

I heard only cheaper monomeric vinyls get brittle. Have you tried intermediate/cast?

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on the new equipment. I’m looking at it for similar applications - wall coverings and banners.

I’m interested to know why you plan to use 180 instead of a wall paper product.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Just got one installed last week. I know there have been some threads on it so if anyone has questions, I'd be happy to try to answer or run some prints.

My intention is to use this to print wall wraps on IJ180 and a lot of Window Perf on it.

So far, I've learned you can't really print decals on it because the material gets so brittle that its impossible to weed after its cut. All the matrix just breaks apart and it takes forever.
Chris,
How long will the warranty be?
How much will a service contract cost?
Bruce

jasonx

What mode are you mostly running? We evaluated one and on paper we were sold. There are a few short comings that stopped us from purchasing which was disappointing because a lot of the machine and usability is awesome and would of fit into our workflow.

The things we found were the print quality at 20sqm an hour was only acceptable to us. At 40sqm there were print artefacts in terms of a gloss banding or step issue.

the little white wheels leave puncture marks in synthetic materials.

If they could fix those two issues I'd be sold.

CL Visual

What mode are you mostly running? We evaluated one and on paper we were sold. There are a few short comings that stopped us from purchasing which was disappointing because a lot of the machine and usability is awesome and would of fit into our workflow.

The things we found were the print quality at 20sqm an hour was only acceptable to us. At 40sqm there were print artefacts in terms of a gloss banding or step issue.

I have been running production mode for window perf which has been great. I run about 1000 sf of window perf daily. IJ180cv3 which I use for wall wraps we have been running on High quality which is 430 sf an hour.

I ran avery 2903 for some decals and had to use specialty mode to get a good result. Thats 215 sf an hour.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
We are having one installed next week. Anything we should know about that we can "pre-warn" the technician about?

waximoff

Which synthetic materials are you referring to? Ours is being installed as I type this and the sales guy and the tech both say they've never heard of anything getting brittle or damaged.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You can run multiple 500 series Latex machines for the same price and it will out produce the Colorado. I have seen the Colorado in a few very successful situations so far, but to me it still seems limited on what it can do. The new Swiss Q machine is going to be radical!

CL Visual

Which synthetic materials are you referring to? Ours is being installed as I type this and the sales guy and the tech both say they've never heard of anything getting brittle or damaged.
You'll see how brittle everything comes out. Oce is well aware of the issue and warned us upfront on it. 3m will not certify their inks currently. The new generation of ink is being developed and expected to be much better although the current machine probably will not be able to accept it as is.

Jim Lattanzio

We run decals on 3m ij35 and it cuts and weeds fine. We did have to have them create a special profile for us because the canned profile the ink was being lifted off the media when using a graphtec cutter and transfer paper. We had to extend the carriage travel time to the max. It works but the time it takes to print jobs is frustrating.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We run decals on 3m ij35 and it cuts and weeds fine. We did have to have them create a special profile for us because the canned profile the ink was being lifted off the media when using a graphtec cutter and transfer paper. We had to extend the carriage travel time to the max. It works but the time it takes to print jobs is frustrating.
So not the speed demon they make it out to be? LOL, so much for game changer.

CMYKENGINEERING

Merchant Member
You'll see how brittle everything comes out. Oce is well aware of the issue and warned us upfront on it. 3m will not certify their inks currently. The new generation of ink is being developed and expected to be much better although the current machine probably will not be able to accept it as is.
You could always use better, cheaper alternative inks for your Colorado. Of course, you will have to forego the semi-predatory contract.

jasonx

With Yuppo the little white wheels that have the spikes leave puncture marks in the material.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Curious as well. Have not heard a lot of good things from actual production shops. I hope it is going well for your use though!

CL Visual

any new feedback? just wanna see how these are doing in the field.
As of right now, I plan on sending it back. The machine is extremely limited in its use. I believe they are working on a flexible ink version that may be a lot better. For our purposes, it doesn't do as much as it should. To get the correct quality on a lot of the stuff, you have to print at 230ft an hour. No need for a 70k machine with a $600 a month service contract to get 230ft an hour.